Saturday, February 15, 2014

God's Valentines (1 Corinthians 13)

"Valentine's Day Roses from my hubby : )"
© Karen Kyle Ericson, all rights reserved.


Happy Valentine's Day everyone!  I was hoping to post on my blog sooner this week, but it was very crazy around here.  We got more and more and even more snow!  New Jersey looks like Alaska or Siberia now.  It's all stacked up outside so we're hoping there won't be a tidal wave when it melts.  May need one of those arks...  

My husband's roses seem better each year : )  So lovely in winter.  I'm looking forward to shooting photos outside again but these are very fun too.  When I think of Valentine's Day I always remember the "Love Chapter" in Corinthians.  After reading Hebrews and all that God has done for us, this year it dawned on me that we are His Valentines (hopefully) sharing His love in a fallen, sometimes frightening world.  He's given us the Bible so we can know Him and share how much He loves us.  He doesn't want us to go out and pretend to be holier than everyone, pushing and shoving the gospel, just real and kind.  Listeners who care, who love.

1 Corinthians 13:1-13

1 If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self- seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.
13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
(NIV)

It's all so humbling.  There are so many temptations with Mother-in-Laws and world leaders.  Those who love to gossip and lie.  The only way out for me, is taking time to pray for those who drive me crazy, acknowledge God knows how things should go and lay it at His feet.  Confessing my sins so He can forgive me.  Then His joy comes back and I can serve Him once again.

8 We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; 9 persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed.
(2 Corinthians 4:8-9 NIV)

I need to say a prayer for our Church.  We've been without a Pastor for awhile now and really need some good leadership.  The congregation is very kind and compassionate.  The organist also leads the music which is taxing I'm sure.

Dear Heavenly Father, I lift up our Church to You and pray You will bring a good Pastor to lead us.  Someone who believes in the Bible and will pray with us.  I pray for the music ministry that it will bring hope and healing to those who are hurting.  Let Your Spirit guide us so we can be Valentines sharing Your love with others.
In Jesus Name, Amen.

I've been out shoveling snow almost everyday for awhile now!  So grateful my husband has a good job.  I'm pretty sure I'll look much younger after all of this hahaha.

Here's a beautiful song by "Unspoken," Lift my life up, "Unspoken" (link)

3 comments:

  1. Praying for your church...I have gone through such a transition before and it can be hard for the congregation.
    also, with so much going on in the church world today, it is wose to pray for a Bible believing Godly man to come to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant to type 'wise'...not wose, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lisa : ) It's a crazy world right now for sure. I like "wose" it's like, "Woe unto me... " hahaha It's hard to understand what people thinking of sometimes.

    ReplyDelete