Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Author and finisher of our faith (Hebrews 12:1-11)



God supplies our needs even when it's not so glamorous : )
When it was cold, Frankie stayed warm under the laundry, 
and Jake camped by the heater vent.
Woohoo!  It's warm today.
Hebrews 12

I must admit after reading about the heroes of our faith and then this, it's so beautiful.  Whenever there's a "therefore" in the Bible we're supposed to look close to see what it's there for : )  Therefore...

1 Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, 2 looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.
Reading the Great Hall of Faith, in Hebrews 11, encourages me to move forward and not get caught up in my own faults and mistakes.  Even the great heroes had their share of problems.  I'm just glad God didn't fill the Bible with perfect people.  It would be like when your Mom told your brother how he should be like you.  You knew you'd get it from your brother later.  We don't have to live in dread for our mistakes or other people's actions.  God has made the sacrifice, we just need to accept it.

3 For consider Him who endured such hostility from sinners against Himself, lest you become weary and discouraged in your souls. 4 You have not yet resisted to bloodshed, striving against sin. 5 And you have forgotten the exhortation which speaks to you as to sons:
“My son, do not despise the chastening of the Lord,Nor be discouraged when you are rebuked by Him;6 For whom the Lord loves He chastens, And scourges every son whom He receives.”
7 If you endure chastening, God deals with you as with sons; for what son is there whom a father does not chasten? 8 But if you are without chastening, of which all have become partakers, then you are illegitimate and not sons. 
What happens when I get chastened, is I get this strong memory of what I did wrong.  Then I feel shame, and wish I'd never done such a horrible thing.  God's joy isn't present anymore, the lights go out in my heart and the music stops.  I hate that so I turn to God and ask forgiveness.  Sometimes I go over how mad I am at someone over and over in my mind.  It isn't until I start feeling miserable that I realize how stupid it is to do it.  Being human isn't easy is it?  We can't erase the past or rewind the video.  But we do grow stronger as we learn to press on.  And His joy does return in time.
Here's that verse again. It's not just for raising children but from God to help us grow in our faith.
24 He who spares his rod hates his son,
But he who loves him disciplines him promptly.

(Proverbs 13:24 NKJV)
9 Furthermore, we have had human fathers who corrected us, and we paid them respect. Shall we not much more readily be in subjection to the Father of spirits and live? 10 For they indeed for a few days chastened us as seemed best to them, but He for our profit, that we may be partakers of His holiness. 11 Now no chastening seems to be joyful for the present, but painful; nevertheless, afterward it yields the peaceable fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it.
I think this means we aren't exempt from the results of our bad behavior.  As Christians we don't get an easy life.  We get the comfort of the Holy Spirit, His Word, and the ability to confess our sin and repent.  I love that so "we may be partakers of His holiness" and "it yields peaceable fruit."
(Hebrews 12:1-11 NKJV)

My prayer for the world...

Dear Heavenly Father, 
I lift up Russia and the Ukraine to You.  I pray You will bring clarity of mind to all the world leaders.  Help them to gain a right spirit within, and understand what is best for all.  So many times we just hear our own thoughts.  Let Your angels guide those in Syria who are running out of hope, also those who are leaders.  I lift up Pres. Obama to You.  Guide him to honest, trustworthy councilors.  I submit to Your master plan, You are God.  Thank You for that in itself.  I look forward to Your return and know it will be truly awesome!
In Jesus Name, Amen.

Here's a song by Mandisa, Overcomer (link)

3 comments:

  1. Praying with you in agreement!
    I loved that idea of looking to see what it's 'there for" LOL!
    Smart cats.
    I have been slow to learn some of the lessons our Father has taught me through discipline...So many years without an earthly father made me resistant to having a Heavenly Father who loves me enough to take the time to chastise me for my own good...But, He knows my heart and my stubbornness is finally melting away to humility and emptiness of self importance enough to listen and yearn to actually hear what He says! He is always communicating to us...This was hard to understand, but I am getting it now...Since he is always communicating we must always be listening and ready to hear!
    Blessings and love to you, my sister~ Lisa
    Blessings and love~ Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. May God bless you abundantly : ) Thanks so much for your comments! It is hard to retain what He says isn't it? I forget quit often. I understand so well my Dad left when I was 12. It's hard but we got the best Father in the Universe can't beat that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blessings and love to you Lisa : ) May you find sweet dreams and rest as you sleep in His giant arms. Love you my sister. Spring is coming.

    ReplyDelete