Thursday, June 26, 2014

Wives, husbands and engagement (Ephesians 5:22-33)

"Our wedding photo 1992"
taken in our apartment before the wedding
We're not so skinny now : )


I was praying for people on a prayer forum awhile back. A young guy was heartbroken.  His fiance told him she needed time away so she stopped the relationship.  She went on to write down everything about him that he needed to change before they got married.  I was amazed.  I told him that this was a one sided request and she was not acknowledging his needs.  I suggested he write everything she needed to change in response.  So he did.  She read his thoughts and grew more distant.  I explained marriage is for two people to become one.  There must be some balance.  I would never dream of telling my husband how he should be (ok except using the laundry basket).  I love watching us both grow with time, together and in our own ways.  He's thrilled to see me working as a writer, photographer and artist now.  I'm very proud of his work in Occupational Therapy.

22 Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. 23 For the husband is head of the wife, as also Christ is head of the church; and He is the Savior of the body. 24 Therefore, just as the church is subject to Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in everything.
These verses have been hard to completely understand.  To be a submissive wife doesn't mean I do as I'm told without speaking.  To me it means I let my husband take the lead.  When I ask my husband what he thinks instead of telling him what to do, he smiles and after a few minutes answers me with a better idea.  He's getting really good at it.  He has insight that I don't.  I asked him for a bird feeder to put outside so I could take photos of birds.  He did a great job and came home with two : )  It's been really good when it comes to money.  I am better with numbers and had no time for shopping while I was in offices.  After I started working at home, I was able to put together a budget for us.  It's taken awhile but now my husband tells me how to use the budget.  I love it when he says, "Wait before you spend money, so we have more in Savings."
9 Two are better than one,
    because they have a good return for their labor:
10 If either of them falls down,
    one can help the other up.

But pity anyone who falls
    and has no one to help them up.
11 Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm.
    But how can one keep warm alone?
12 Though one may be overpowered,
    two can defend themselves.
A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.
Ecclesiastes 4:9-12
The third strand in verse 12 is the Holy Spirit within each person. 

25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her, 26 that He might sanctify and cleanse her with the washing of water by the word, 27 that He might present her to Himself a glorious church, not having spot or wrinkle or any such thing, but that she should be holy and without blemish. 
My husband loves this blog.  He asks me if I've done a post and then goes out and reads it.  He likes to go to Church with me.  I like it too.  Neither of us are perfect for sure.  But with him I feel special.   We have our arguments at times.  Just noticed verse 25 is repeated in verses 28 and 29.  Must be important.

28 So husbands ought to love their own wives as their own bodies; he who loves his wife loves himself. 29 For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as the Lord does the church. 30 For we are members of His body, of His flesh and of His bones. 31 “For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.” 32 This is a great mystery, but I speak concerning Christ and the church. 33 Nevertheless let each one of you in particular so love his own wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband.
We've had some big trials.  There's been sickness, and financial struggles.  We've both felt like running away from home.  I've tried but there's this invisible wall that blocks me.  And Todd teases me saying, "Without you, who would make my dinner?"  In the morning he says, "Hi baby. I love you."  This year we'll have been married for 22 years.  There's nothing like a good pillow fight to clear the air.
(Ephesians 5:22-33 NKJV)


I totally love this song:
Red Roots (triplets) Christian Girl (link)  
Free Publicity for Christian Musicians

This song reminds me of before I got married and actually used my foot to literally kick a guy out of my apartment hahaha!  Go girls!  We're way more valuable than to be used.

I forgot to pray...

Dear Heavenly Father I lift up Ukraine to You.  I pray You will stop the violence and bring peace.  Please let the wrong fail and the right win.  Bless those who are wounded and afraid.  I also lift up our government in the USA.  I pray You will give Congress the courage to stand up for what is right and true.  Reveal the truth Father.


Our Father in heaven,
Reveal who you are.
10 Set the world right;
Do what's best––
  as above, so below.
11 Keep us alive with three square meals.
12 Keep us forgiven with you and forgiving others.
13 Keep us safe from ourselves and the Devil.
You're in charge!
You can do anything you want!
You're ablaze in beauty!
  Yes. Yes. Yes .
(Matthew 6:9-13 Message)


In Jesus Name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment