Thursday, September 4, 2014

Falling asleep in Laodicea (Revelation 3:14-22, Psalms 20:7-9, Luke 10:30-36)

"Lukewarm people"
Corel Painter

© Karen Kyle Ericson, all rights reserved.

Awww good old apathy also known as, "lukewarm people," as God would say.  I'm from the apathetic generation, I can relate.  In college, the Professor asked what was wrong with us.  We had no emotion.  He said, "You don't dress alike.  You don't have any passion.  What do you care about?"  

We all looked at our watches to figure out when class was over.  He saw that which confirmed his suspicion.  "You just want to go home?"  Then he laughed.  

I was born in 1960, after the hippies, during the Vietnam War.  The first television came out around this time.  I remember seeing the war as a little girl on black & white TV.  Walter Cronkite was the top News caster.  I miss just the facts and not so much opinion.  Something in all of this made us shut down emotionally.  We played games outside like, "Hide and Seek."  Divorces became popular and so did drugs.  I drove my Mom crazy because I saw color on the black and white screen hahaha.  I was born an artist : )  

That was before all the electronic devices we have now. It's easy to just tune out and escape all the drama.  But that's not what Jesus wants us to do.  He wants us to help each other out and pray.  I remember after I first became a Christian, we were singing one of those old hymns.  I thought, "This is so boring why do we do this?"  Then the still small voice whispered, "Who are you singing to?"

I looked up and smiled and have sung to the Lord since then.  It's an amazing experience.

The Lukewarm Church
14 “ And to the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write,
These things says the Amen, the Faithful and True Witness, the Beginning of the creation of God: 15 “I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I could wish you were cold or hot. 16 So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth. 17 Because you say, “I am rich, have become wealthy, and have need of nothing’—and do not know that you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked— 18 I counsel you to buy from Me gold refined in the fire, that you may be rich; and white garments, that you may be clothed, that the shame of your nakedness may not be revealed; and anoint your eyes with eye salve, that you may see. 19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten. Therefore be zealous and repent. 
Part of me reads this and wonders what it would be like to be rich and need nothing.  Then I realize how complicated it would be.  People trying to steal from you, figuring out the stock market... Nah.  Not for me.  Jesus changed my life, I'm sticking with Him.  He's full of surprises.  The way to get this Church back on track is for them to seek out their first love, "Jesus."  Be zealous after Him.  Fall on their knees and repent, confessing sin (in private is just fine). This verse comes to mind:
7 Some trust in chariots, and some in horses; But we will remember the name of the Lord our God. 8 They have bowed down and fallen; But we have risen and stand upright. 9 Save, Lord! May the King answer us when we call.
(Psalms 20:7-9 NKJV)
20 Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me. 21 To him who overcomes I will grant to sit with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne.
22 “ He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.” ’”
(Revelation 3:14-22 NKJV)
There is still time to follow Jesus.  I just hope people don't miss out on His blessings and majesty today.  He totally changed my life, attitude, anger, and apathy.  I am set free now.  He gave me this amazing joy and then of all things, I got compassion.  I could feel for others.  I was so dead inside as a kid.  Now I have courage and try new things, good, healthy things.

This is what it's like when we do what God wants:
30 Then Jesus ... said:“ A certain man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among thieves, who stripped him of his clothing, wounded him, and departed, leaving him half dead. 31 Now by chance a certain priest came down that road. And when he saw him, he passed by on the other side. 32 Likewise a Levite, when he arrived at the place, came and looked, and passed by on the other side. 33 But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was. And when he saw him, he had compassion. 34 So he went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine; and he set him on his own animal, brought him to an inn, and took care of him. 35 On the next day, when he departed, he took out two denarii, gave them to the innkeeper, and said to him, ‘Take care of him; and whatever more you spend, when I come again, I will repay you. ’ 36 So which of these three do you think was neighbor to him who fell among the thieves? (Luke 10:30-36 NKJV)
I'd feel really good after doing something this important : )

Dear Heavenly Father I continue to thank and praise You for drawing the nations to work together in the middle east.  I lift up Israel, Jordan, and Iraq to You.  Please protect Europe from the terrorism and our nation.  Please bless the efforts of those who are fighting the good fight.  Grant courage and strength to the Ukraine Father.  I pray for our country, that You will help us get back on track.  Closing our eyes leads to blindness.  Help us see clearly. And respond appropriately, even if we're just simple servants.

Our Father in heaven,
Reveal who you are.
10 Set the world right;
Do what's best––
  as above, so below.
11 Keep us alive with three square meals.
12 Keep us forgiven with you and forgiving others.
13 Keep us safe from ourselves and the Devil.
You're in charge!
You can do anything you want!
You're ablaze in beauty!
  Yes. Yes. Yes .
(Matthew 6:9-13 Message)

In Jesus Name, Amen.

Here's a favorite song from the Newsboys, You are My King (Amazing Love) link

No comments:

Post a Comment