Wednesday, January 20, 2016

The light that shines in darkness (Acts 19, John 15:15-18, Acts 2:1-12)

"With the Holy Spirit, we have the light of life"
© Karen Kyle Ericson, all rights reserved.

I finished a watercolor painting this week of apple blossoms.  I had a photo of them and hadn't looked at it in a while.  So I had to paint it.   I also need to help with the bills.  So I'm hoping it will sell in a gallery.

1 And it happened, while Apollos was at Corinth, that Paul, having passed through the upper regions, came to Ephesus. And finding some disciples 2 he said to them, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?”
So they said to him, “We have not so much as heard whether there is a Holy Spirit.”
3 And he said to them, “Into what then were you baptized?”

So they said, “Into John's baptism.”

4 Then Paul said, “John indeed baptized with a baptism of repentance, saying to the people that they should believe on Him who would come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.”
5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 6 And when Paul had laid hands on them, the Holy Spirit came upon them, and they spoke with tongues and prophesied. 7 Now the men were about twelve in all.


Paul is describing, "Pentecost."  After Jesus was crucified, He said He would send the Helper to be with us.  Pentecost is the day the disciples received the Holy Spirit in their hearts.  I received the Holy Spirit when I accepted Jesus as my Savior.  The first time I asked the Holy Spirit for words to say, I was speaking in a Church and my mind went blank.  It was very awkward.  So I asked Him for words.  It came out of my mouth beautifully!  He also helps me out when me and my husband have a disagreement.  I usually step back and ask for the words.

Jesus said, 
“15 If you love Me, keep My commandments. 16 And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever— 17 the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you. 18 I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you."
(John 14:15-18 NKJV)
Jesus promised we would have a helper, "His Holy Spirit."   You can just imagine how exciting it must've been when tongues of fire came from Heaven and rested on the disciples.  This is the way in which the Holy Spirit came to mankind.
1 When the Day of Pentecost had fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. 2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven, as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled the whole house where they were sitting. 3 Then there appeared to them divided tongues, as of fire, and one sat upon each of them. 4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

5 And there were dwelling in Jerusalem Jews, devout men, from every nation under heaven. 6 And when this sound occurred, the multitude came together, and were confused, because everyone heard them speak in his own language. 7 Then they were all amazed and marveled, saying to one another, “Look, are not all these who speak Galileans? 8 And how is it that we hear, each in our own language in which we were born? 9 Parthians and Medes and Elamites, those dwelling in Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, 10 Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya adjoining Cyrene, visitors from Rome, both Jews and proselytes, 11 Cretans and Arabs—we hear them speaking in our own tongues the wonderful works of God.” 12 So they were all amazed and perplexed, saying to one another, “Whatever could this mean
(Acts 2:1-12 NKJV)
The Apostle Paul continued trying to reason with those in the synagogue.  Like Paul, I tend to believe if someone isn't interested I should still be kind to them.  Paul decided it was time to move on so he preached to those in Asia.  

8 And he went into the synagogue and spoke boldly for three months, reasoning and persuading concerning the things of the kingdom of God. 9 But when some were hardened and did not believe, but spoke evil of the Way before the multitude, he departed from them and withdrew the disciples, reasoning daily in the school of Tyrannus. 10 And this continued for two years, so that all who dwelt in Asia heard the word of the Lord Jesus, both Jews and Greeks.
(Acts 19:1-10 NKJV)

This is a beautiful song from Lauren Daigle
Lauren Daigle, "Light of the World (link)"

No comments:

Post a Comment