Thursday, March 24, 2016

3 days and 2 nights in the tomb (Easter Story 5) (Luke 23:42-43, Jonah 2:1,6, Psalms 16:10-11, Ephes. 4:8-10, 1 Tim 3:16, 1 Peter 3:18-20, Colossians 1:18)

We don't know for sure what happened after Jesus' body was sealed in the tomb.  I can't believe the Son of God would drift into a mindless sleep.  He is God in human form, the trinity, "God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit."  

When Jesus was speaking to the thief on the cross, He said He would be in Paradise with the repentant thief that day.  

42 Then he said to Jesus, “Lord, remember me when You come into Your kingdom.”43 And Jesus said to him, “Assuredly, I say to you, today you will be with Me in Paradise."
(Luke 23:42-43 NKJV)
Jonah's story relates closely to what Jesus did.  Sheol means death (sleep) in the Jewish faith.  It is believed that while Jesus' body lay in the tomb, He actually went in Spirit and delivered the dead to Heaven.

1 “I cried out to the Lord because of my affliction,
And He answered me.
‘Out of the belly of Sheol I cried,
And You heard my voice.'"

6 I went down to the moorings of the mountains;
The earth with its bars closed behind me forever; Yet You have brought up my life from the pit, O Lord, my God.
(Jonah 2:1,6 NKJV)

I'd like to meet Moses and David one day : )
10 For You will not leave my soul in Sheol,
Nor will You allow Your Holy One to see corruption.
11 You will show me the path of life;
In Your presence is fullness of joy;
At Your right hand are pleasures forevermore.
(Psalms 16:10-11 NKJV)

This was written by the Apostle Paul,
7 But to each one of us grace was given according to the measure of Christ's gift. 8 Therefore He says:
“When He ascended on high,
He led captivity captive,
And gave gifts to men.”
9 Now this, “He ascended” —what does it mean but that He also first descended into the lower parts of the earth? 10 He who descended is also the One who ascended far above all the heavens, that He might fill all things.
(Ephesians 4:8-10 NKJV)

Beautiful words.
16 And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness:
God was manifested in the flesh,
Justified in the Spirit,
Seen by angels,
Preached among the Gentiles,
Believed on in the world,
Received up in glory.
(1 Timothy 3:16 NKJV)

He made it possible for us to dwell with God again.  One day, it will be like Eden (with no serpent or temptation).  Free at last!
18 For Christ also suffered once for sins, the just for the unjust, that He might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive by the Spirit, 19 by whom also He went and preached to the spirits in prison, 20 who formerly were disobedient, when once the Divine longsuffering waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was being prepared, in which a few, that is, eight souls, were saved through water.
(1 Peter 3:18-20 NKJV)

He will never leave us or forsake us.  
10 For You will not leave my soul in Sheol,
Nor will You allow Your Holy One to see corruption.
11 You will show me the path of life;
In Your presence is fullness of joy;
At Your right hand are pleasures forevermore.
(Psalms 16:10-11 NKJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment