Monday, June 20, 2011

My soul waits

This is another Psalm sung on the way to Jerusalem.  They are called "Pilgrim Psalms," or "A Song of Ascents."  It just seems right that once we finish them (Psalm 134), I should take a look at the New Jerusalem.  The Jerusalem all of us are heading toward, everyone who accepts Jesus' sacrifice.  

Psalm 130

It's interesting that this is the Psalm following 129, the one that got ugly.  This one is full of humility and focus on the Lord.  It's really beautiful.  It reminds me of those times at Church when a discussion gets out of hand, and a mature Christian steps in with words of peace.  Everyone sits in silence, some wish they'd said it and others want to learn more.
1 Out of the depths I have cried to You, O Lord;
2 Lord, hear my voice!
Let Your ears be attentive
To the voice of my supplications.

This is so true, if He didn't forgive, none of us would be alive.  We've all sinned and fall short of His glory (Romans 3:23).
3 If You, Lord, should mark iniquities,
O Lord, who could stand?
4 But there is forgiveness with You,
That You may be feared.

Waiting is so hard to do!  I like the way the Psalm says that "my soul waits."  If my soul waits, it doesn't mean I should sit and do nothing.  It means my heart is patient and calm, waiting.
5 I wait for the Lord, my soul waits,
And in His word I do hope.
6 My soul waits for the Lord
More than those who watch for the morning
Yes, more than those who watch for the morning.

God has not forgotten Israel.  There are some great surprises in store for them in the New Jerusalem, and us too!  Here's one from Revelation:

Revelation 21:12
12 Also she had a great and high wall with twelve gates, and twelve angels at the gates, and names written on them, which are the names of the twelve tribes of the children of Israel...
NKJV

7 O Israel, hope in the Lord;
For with the Lord there is mercy,
And with Him is abundant redemption.
8 And He shall redeem Israel
From all his iniquities.
NKJV

No comments:

Post a Comment