Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Wisdom and fruit

Sorta what a fig looks like : )
© Karen Kyle Ericson, all rights reserved.
Digital Painting (Gouache) - Corel Painter


Well the Broncos lost last weekend.  My husband watched the game with his Dad so I couldn't pray for the team.  I just can't sit through football alone...  I found this link that really put things in perspective from two of my favorite Christians, Ron Hutchcraft and Tim Tebow: Tim Tebow losing or winning? (link).  With Jesus, even when we lose we win- if we're serving Him.  He turns everything upside down and backwards : )  Makes me want to find some volunteer work, I miss it.

Proverbs 27

Back to the Proverbs.  I found some good wisdom for us.  Some is a bit humbling.

1 Do not boast about tomorrow,
   for you do not know what a day may bring.
To me, this verse speaks of putting things off until tomorrow.  Sometimes I think I'll take care of that tomorrow.  After a week, I realize tomorrow is long gone...  I think this applies in relationships as well.  Oh I'll call my Dad tomorrow, maybe the Lord is prompting me to call him today for a reason.

2 Let someone else praise you, and not your own mouth;
   an outsider, and not your own lips.
It's always best to be humble and get noticed rather than boasting.  However, there will always be people who will happily take credit for our work.  I know about that all too well.  God knows the truth and He will reward us.

14 If anyone loudly blesses their neighbor early in the morning,
   it will be taken as a curse.

Had to chuckle on this one.  So true, it's not good to wake up people when they're sleeping : )

15 A quarrelsome wife is like the dripping
   of a leaky roof in a rainstorm;
16 restraining her is like restraining the wind
   or grasping oil with the hand.

Well we all have our moments don't we?  This is another one that makes me chuckle.  I've learned sometimes people are quiet after I say something, they're thinking.  I don't need to repeat what I say (hahaha).

17 As iron sharpens iron,
   so one person sharpens another.

Even though people can be annoying at times, the truth is we need each other.  Even the annoying ones have something to teach me about self-control, peace and patience.

18 The one who guards a fig tree will eat its fruit,
   and whoever protects their master will be honored.

This Proverb is interesting.  It reminded me of what happened with Jesus and the fig tree:
Matthew 21:18-21 
Early in the morning, as Jesus was on his way back to the city, he was hungry. Seeing a fig tree by the road, he went up to it but found nothing on it except leaves. Then he said to it, May you never bear fruit again! Immediately the tree withered.
When the disciples saw this, they were amazed. “How did the fig tree wither so quickly?” they asked.
Jesus replied, Truly I tell you, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain, ‘Go, throw yourself into the sea,’ and it will be done. If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.”  NIV
To me, the fig tree symbolizes people.  If we look out for others, especially when they're down (fruitless), God can use us to restore them.  We bear fruit for Him and protect our Master's interests.  Only Jesus is the judge of people.  I can't see what a person has or hasn't done- or even if they are a part of the body of Christ.  I don't know what they've experienced in their lives.  I've never walked in their shoes.  I see some people and think they must be able to walk on water.  But only God sees our hearts, He knows those who are His.  There will be a time when those who claim to follow Christ, but don't know Him will be separated from the rest (Matthew 13:30).  There is no fruit in their lives. Jesus did promise we'll be able to see each others fruit, and we're not yet perfected in Christ (Phil. 3:12).  Best not to judge.  Being a Christian isn't a birthright.  It's a choice to allow Him to be our Lord and Savior.  Our job is to focus on Jesus' love, and help others.  When I focus on Jesus, helping out is pure joy.



Matthew 7:16 
By their fruit you will recognize them.  Do people pick grapes from thorn bushes, or figs from thistles?  

Galatians 5:22-23
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.  Against such things there is no law.

2 comments:

  1. Did you draw that? It is wonderful! I am always refreshed when I come by here...and rightfully convicted... and this is no exception. I always go away blessed. Thanks! It is wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks LeAnn- yes, that's one of my doodles. I enjoy your blog too, it's so refreshing. Some of the things in the Bible are hard to write about. It's sharper than a two edged sword. But it always points back to Jesus, His sacrifice, grace and mercy. I confess this is convicting for me too as I work on it. When I look back at where I began as a Christian to today- it's amazing how much He's changed me. But none of us are perfect yet, one day in Heaven. It fascinates me how this ancient book, the Bible is so relevant today. Proverbs has so much common sense in it.

      Delete