Sunday, May 25, 2014

Prayer of George Washington, 1752 (Memorial Day 2014)

"George Washington prayed before each battle"
© Karen Kyle Ericson, all rights reserved.

A book called, George Washington's Prayer Journal, 1752, was in my Olive Tree Bible software.  I feel led to share one of his prayers this year.  It seems like we've lost our identity and our nation is divided right now.  It's good to take a look back and see where we began.  It's striking how humble George was.  He really cared about our people. To anyone outside the USA, he was one of our founding fathers and our first President. 

Here's one of his prayers:

O Lord our God, most mighty and merciful father, I thine unworthy creature and servant, do once more approach thy presence. Though not worthy to appear before thee, because of my natural corruptions, and the many sins and transgressions which I have committed against thy divine majesty; yet I beseech thee, for the sake of him in whom thou art well pleased, the Lord Jesus Christ, to admit me to render thee deserved thanks and praises for thy manifold mercies extended toward me, for the quiet rest & repose of the past night, for food, raiment, health, peace, liberty, and the hopes of a better life through the merits of thy dear son’s bitter passion. And O kind father continue thy mercy and favor to me this day, and ever hereafter; prosper all my lawful undertakings; let me have all my directions from thy holy spirit, and success from thy bountiful hand. Let the bright beams of thy light so shine into my heart, and enlighten my mind in understanding thy blessed word, that I may be enabled to perform thy will in all things, and effectually resist all temptations of the world, the flesh and the devil. Preserve and defend our rulers in church and state. Bless the people of this land, be a father to the fatherless, a comforter to the comfortless, a deliverer to the captives, and a physician to the sick. Let thy blessings be upon our friends, kindred and families. Be our guide this day and forever through J. C. in whose blessed form of prayer I conclude my weak petitions--- Our Father... [the Lord's Prayer is added here.]

Written by,
( George Washington, 1752 Age 20)

"All ages were in the Revolutionary War"
© Karen Kyle Ericson, all rights reserved.
I took these photos at a re-enactment of the Revolutionary War, Battle of Monmouth, in Monmouth County, New Jersey.  It's interesting to note, at the end of the battle it was considered a tie.  Both the British and the Colonials claimed victory.  But, it was also the first battle where our soldiers were able to hold their own after training in Valley Forge.

Here's the Battle Hymn of the Republic (link)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Karen,
    Please Lord, bring this nation back to you. How nice it would be if our leaders today prayed like that. Thank you for sharing and God bless.
    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ken and I agree with your prayer. We do need to change direction!

    ReplyDelete