Monday, March 28, 2011

To speak His name

On my last post, I described painting with Janice, a woman who was paralyzed by MS.  Here's the rest of the story.  My husband and I had just moved to New Jersey for his career in Occupational Therapy from Seattle, WA.  God gave me this burning desire to help someone paint who was paralyzed and in a wheelchair.  I asked my husband to see if there was someone at his new job in the Nursing Home.  It turned out there was a woman who had been asking for an artist to help her for a long time- Janice.  He brought me the news and I excitedly applied.  The Nursing Home wanted to reward the volunteers by giving an art show so we could share our artwork.  Some read to patients, others just talked and listened.  It sounded like a fun idea, so I got some paintings ready and took them in.  I went and got Janice so she could see.  She said, "Wow.  What are you doing here with me?"

It hurt that she felt inferior to anyone, especially me.  I stammered, "I'm a Christian, this is what Jesus wants me to do.  He loves you and so do I."  We both got teary eyes and didn't speak much more that day.  

After an hour a week for many months, Janice passed away.  I believe she's up in Heaven dancing and running around now. I'm hoping God has some paint brushes ready for us. So we can set up our easels by the River of Life and do some painting together again. 

Psalms 113

1 Hallelujah!
You who serve God, praise God!
Just to speak his name is praise!
2 Just to remember God is a blessing
now and tomorrow and always.
3 From east to west, from dawn to dusk,
keep lifting all your praises to God!

4 God is higher than anything and anyone,
outshining everything you can see in the skies.
5 Who can compare with God, our God,
so majestically enthroned,
6 Surveying his magnificent
heavens and earth?
7 He picks up the poor from out of the dirt,
rescues the wretched who've been thrown out with the trash,
8 Seats them among the honored guests,
a place of honor among the brightest and best.
9 He gives childless couples a family,
gives them joy as the parents of children.
Hallelujah!
THE MESSAGE

Jesus said it this way-
Matt 25:34-40
34 Then the King will say to those on His right hand, 'Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:  35 for I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in;  36 I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me.'

37 "Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, 'Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink?  38 When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You?  39 Or when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?'  40 And the King will answer and say to them, 'Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.'
NKJV

No comments:

Post a Comment