Friday, April 1, 2011

Rainbow moments

I love this Psalm.  We've all experienced many storms:  financial, danger, arguments, illness and more.   But after every storm comes a rainbow moment.  A time when we sit back in awe at what God did.  That moment when God's power is so real and our weakness so undeniable.

This Psalm reminds me of when I went to college.  I drove to Phoenix, Arizona from Utah by myself.  I wanted to go to a Christian school.  I was driving a 1967 Ford Mustang  in 1979.   It had a few problems.  I had the tires changed and the mechanic forgot to tighten the lug nuts.  I turned a corner and the tires fell off.  I had no idea you had to put water in the radiator.  One time it overheated and I went to a mechanic asking how to get rid of the steam.  He rolled his eyes and said that it needs anti-freeze and water all the time.  So driving by myself in this car was a bit nerve racking.  

I got closer to Phoenix and as the temperature rose outside so did my little temperature gauge.  I learned to pray without ceasing.  I got to the school and the car literally died.  For Christmas, I wanted to visit my brother who was stationed in El Paso, Texas.  The car still had a few problems.  But I wanted to go.  I'd drive a ways and it would slow down, the lights would dim.  So I'd pull into a gas station and get the battery recharged.  The 70's wasn't the safest time period for girls to be out at night alone.  It was a very long drive...  And again, I prayed without ceasing.  The car died at my brother's apartment.  He helped me get it fixed.  I remember getting out of the car with shaky legs.  So very grateful for God's deliverance. 

Psalms 116

I love God because he listened to me
listened as I begged for mercy
2 He listened so intently
as I laid out my case before him
3 Death stared me in the face,
hell was hard on my heels.
Up against it, I didn't know which way to turn
4 then I called out to God for help:
"Please, God!" I cried out."Save my life!
5 God is gracious — it is he who makes things right,
our most compassionate God
6 God takes the side of the helpless;
when I was at the end of my rope, he saved me.

Here's the rainbow moment.  Your knees quit knocking and your adrenaline slows down.   You pray, "Thank You God!!!!"  Then collapse.  Actually it was like that when I gave my testimony to a Church for the first time too.
7 I said to myself, "Relax and rest.
God has showered you with blessings
8 Soul, you've been rescued from death;
Eye, you've been rescued from tears;
And you, Foot, were kept from stumbling."
9 I'm striding in the presence of God,
alive in the land of the living
10 I stayed faithful, though bedeviled,
and despite a ton of bad luck
11 Despite giving up on the human race,
saying, "They're all liars and cheats."

What do you give the God who has everything?  He created the elements that are used for our money- it has no meaning to Him.  Unless it affects us.  Angels are in His presence so He doesn't need friends.  He created the universe so one of my photos wouldn't be all that impressive.  All He wants is our thanks, worship, praise and trust.  I lay my gifts and talents at His feet; I am His servant.
12 What can I give back to God
for the blessings he's poured out on me
13 I'll lift high the cup of salvationa toast to God!
I'll pray in the name of God
14 I'll complete what I promised God I'd do,
and I'll do it together with his people
15 When they arrive at the gates of death,
God welcomes those who love him
16 Oh, God, here I am, your servant,
your faithful servant
set me free for your service
17 I'm ready to offer the thanksgiving sacrifice
and pray in the name of God
18 I'll complete what I promised God I'd do,
and I'll do it in company with his people
19 In the place of worship, in God's house,
in Jerusalem, God's city.
Hallelujah!
THE MESSAGE

I think of these times as rainbow moments, because God gave the rainbow to Noah and all mankind, after the flood.  A symbol that this would never happen again.
Genesis 9:16
16 The rainbow shall be in the cloud, and I will look on it to remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is on the earth."
NKJV

In the end, there will be a rainbow around God's throne.  All suffering will end.
Revelation 4:3
3 And He who sat there was like a jasper and a sardius stone in appearance; and there was a rainbow around the throne, in appearance like an emerald.
NKJV

8 comments:

  1. I forgot to mention. The Lord used my durable Mustang, so I could learn all about cars. My husband was so amazed when we got married. I'd get in the car and say, "Honey we need more oil. Did you check the tire pressure? Looks like the fan belt is loose." Or "Wow we really need some steering fluid!" He'd ask how I knew, I'd smile and say, "My Mustang." A blessing in disguise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Karen. Gotta maintain that faith. Gotta stay focused on Him. Your determination and adventuresome spirit brought you closer to God. He tested you, and you passed. Again and again. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Clint! That's so encouraging :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is no better comfort reading than the Psalms. And, you take great pictures!
    God bless,
    Steve
    Luke 18:1

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Message version here is illuminating. And this:

    "...hell was hard on my heels."

    But thanks be to God, He is our rear-guard, and our guide.

    Thanks for an encouraging post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Steve and Jennifer :) I agree Jennifer, sometimes I read a Psalm in The Message and think, "That's just not it." And reach for my NKJV for a little more grace and eloquence. Other times The Message is right on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know what Karen, your post keep giving me the faith and strength that i need and i am grateful!Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad Murugi. It makes it all worthwhile. :)

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete