Monday, October 10, 2011

All who are simple

© Karen Kyle Ericson, all rights reserved.


I'm back!  We went to New York City on Thursday and Friday.  It was my husband's birthday. He wanted to go see the dinosaur bone museum (American Museum of Natural History).  I got some good shots:  night lights in Times Square, and Central Park.  I had planned to watch the movie, "Night at the Museum" the night before we left.  But I forgot.   It was a great time and as an artist, very inspiring.  It's true... you lose your zeal if you focus on the same subjects all the time.  I have plans for some of the photos on both of my blogs.   It's a good thing there's variety in the Bible so we don't lose our zeal!  There's a couple of books that are sort of like reading the phone book.  But it's all there for a reason, by God's design.  And there's plenty of exciting adventures and inspiring verses as well.  Sort of like a visit to the museum, if you plan your path through the Bible, it's much less exhausting and more enjoyable.  I added a link on this blog that describes how the Bible was originated in the right top corner.  I support the statement of faith on this site- it also supports what I was taught in school.  The Bible is even more amazing with an understanding of the miraculous story behind it.  It can only be the inspired Word of God. 

Proverbs 9:1-6

1 Wisdom has built her house;
she has set up its seven pillars.
2 She has prepared her meat and mixed her wine;
she has also set her table.

Jesus used wine to symbolize the new covenant between God and man at the Last Supper.   His blood was poured out on the cross so we would know forgiveness and our relationship with God would be restored.

27 Then he took a cup, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you. 28 This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. 29 I tell you, I will not drink from this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father’s kingdom.”Matthew 26:27-29 NIV 

It is wise to be a servant of the Lord.  A huge honor, that He would choose us.  But He's not looking for the great and mighty for His people.  He's looking for the simple.
3  She has sent out her servants, and she calls
from the highest point of the city,
4 “Let all who are simple come to my house!”
To those who have no sense she says,
5 “Come, eat my food
and drink the wine I have mixed.
6 Leave your simple ways and you will live;
walk in the way of insight.
NIV

This reminds me of the beatitudes from Jesus' sermon on the mount.   Matthew West has a great song titled, My Finest Hour (link).  He calls Jesus "the King of Contradictions," the song always brings tears to my eyes (not many songs do this).  When we are completely down and out, according to Jesus, this will be our finest hour.  I can testify that this is true.  When I am spent and tell the Lord, "I give up."  He has an amazing way of putting me back together.  I've even tried to tell Him, in my worst circumstances, "I can't do this!  I'm just a woman!"  But He sees my heart.  He never pays attention to my excuses, and fixes what's broken.  Gives my soul a hug and strength to carry on another day.

Matthew 5:3-10

3 “Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4 Blessed are those who mourn,
for they will be comforted.
5 Blessed are the meek,
for they will inherit the earth.
6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they will be filled.
7 Blessed are the merciful,
for they will be shown mercy.
8 Blessed are the pure in heart,
for they will see God.
9 Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they will be called children of God.
10 Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
NIV


5 comments:

  1. P.S. I realize it's not Wednesday and set out to draw a glass of wine. But, I kept remembering this photo I'd taken while playing with my lights, and thought maybe you'd enjoy it more. My cat Frankie, decided he wanted to be in the shot so it was a bit, uh, hairy... But it did work out. It's not really wine, it's cranberry juice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm jealous of your trip to New York. Ha. Sounds like a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was fun- but you got to go to the ocean... hahaha. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Taught a women's bible study small group called "God's Daugthers" where we studied these verses. Never forgot them although I do sometimes fall short of the mark and keep right on prayiing for wisdom in every situation. The last part of this blog reminds me of prayers said even today as I took my morning walk. Keep up the good work ... also prayed 4 U this a.m. Blessings, J.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the encouragement J! I prayed for you this morning too. May God bless you abundantly!

    ReplyDelete