Monday, October 3, 2011

Seeking wisdom finding Jesus Part 2

This digital painting was different for me.  I had a different concept in mind but it
just wasn't working out.  So I prayed and the image behind the cross
just happened as it did I finished the painting.
© Karen Kyle Ericson, all rights reserved.

The second part of Proverbs 8, continues on with a description of Jesus, God's wisdom.  It was so close to the description in John chapter 1, I wanted you to be able to see it too.  The first thing to understand is that God has 3 forms.  He is God the Almighty, He is Jesus in human form, He is the Holy Spirit who dwells among believers, He is timeless, He is everywhere at once.  He is the Trinity. This is hard for us to understand as humans.  Because all we see is today, this moment.  There's only one of us, as we live on the earth, we are limited to human bodies.  But God is our Creator, nothing is impossible for Him.

One of the most astounding things about the Bible is that the Book of John was originally written many years after the Book of Proverbs.  John would've been written in ancient Greek, and Proverbs in ancient Hebrew.  But the similarities between these passages are wonderful- like a full picture of creation.  Jesus, the wisdom of God.  In Genesis 1, God created the whole universe with His words.  If you have time, read it too.
... but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. 
1 Corinthians 1:24 NIV


John 1
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4 In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. 5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.
John 1:1-5 NIV
9 The true light that gives light to everyone was coming into the world. 10 He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him. 11 He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him. 12 Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God— 13 children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God.

14 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.
John 1:9-14 NIV

Proverbs 8:22-36

God spoke the Word, and took on the form of Jesus.  I don't know why exactly, maybe He wanted to experience the earth the way a human would before He created mankind.  To see through human eyes.  Later Jesus would become the sacrifice for our sin.  God must've known it would happen.  Yet He still loved us enough to create us.  Can you imagine having a dream so big as this?  Creating humans He knew He would need to die for?  He loves us so much.
22 “The Lord brought me forth as the first of his works, 
before his deeds of old;
23 I was formed long ages ago,
at the very beginning, when the world came to be.
24 When there were no watery depths, I was given birth,
when there were no springs overflowing with water;
25 before the mountains were settled in place,
before the hills, I was given birth,
26 before he made the world or its fields
or any of the dust of the earth.

Now this would've been so fun to see : )  The light spills into the universe then galaxies explode with planets and suns. 
27 I was there when he set the heavens in place,
when he marked out the horizon on the face of the deep,
28 when he established the clouds above
and fixed securely the fountains of the deep,
29 when he gave the sea its boundary
so the waters would not overstep his command,
and when he marked out the foundations of the earth.
30 Then I was constantly at his side.I was filled with delight day after day,
rejoicing always in his presence,

This describes God rejoicing in man.  I don't know why we sometimes imagine Him as a stern judge in a black & white movie.  He really wants us to find Him, dwell with Him.  He loves us so much.  If I knew one of my projects would fail, I would toss it out.  But, not our God.  He never saw us as a failure. : )
31 rejoicing in his whole world
and delighting in mankind.

Jesus said:
“So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.  For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.
Luke 11:9-10 NIV
32 “Now then, my children, listen to me;
blessed are those who keep my ways.
33 Listen to my instruction and be wise;
do not disregard it.
34 Blessed are those who listen to me,
watching daily at my doors,
waiting at my doorway.
35 For those who find me find life
and receive favor from the Lord.
36 But those who fail to find me harm themselves;
all who hate me love death.”
NIV

1 comment:

  1. I started reading Proverbs a few days ago. When I started reading the passages that you write about, I had the same meaning come to me, along with Scripture the same as you post. I love what you are writing! I'll be back!

    ReplyDelete