Friday, August 8, 2014

God became a baby? (Galatians 4:1-20, Revelation 12:11, Matt 24:6)

It looks like the Lord is providing blessings again.  I stumbled onto an opportunity to work with an Art Gallery owner, "Jason Horejs."  He has written a book, "Starving to Successful," for artists.  I've been reading it and figuring out how I can succeed.  It's pretty exciting stuff. I've been saving up some money to buy quality art materials too.   My husband and I went to Red Bank in New Jersey and found a local gallery.  Who knows?  Maybe my dreams will come true. Prayers are welcome of course : )

1 Now I say that the heir, as long as he is a child, does not differ at all from a slave, though he is master of all, 2 but is under guardians and stewards until the time appointed by the father. 3 Even so we, when we were children, were in bondage under the elements of the world. 4 But when the fullness of the time had come, God sent forth His Son, born of a woman, born under the law, 5 to redeem those who were under the law, that we might receive the adoption as sons.
These verses describe Jesus.  As a child He was powerless and like a slave though in reality He is the Master.  God became a baby in a helpless form, amazing!  We also were born helpless, messy, and vulnerable.  At the right moment, God brought forth His Son who came not to destroy the law but to fulfill it.  Breaking the 10 Commandments was punishable by death, through Christ the Covenant of forgiveness came into being.

6 And because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into your hearts, crying out, “Abba, Father!” 7 Therefore you are no longer a slave but a son, and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ.
The name, "Abba" means Father, some interpret it to mean, "Daddy".  I for one, am not comfortable calling God, "Daddy."  He has allowed us to become His heirs, His sons and daughters.  He deserves our respect and gratitude.  He is more powerful than anyone or thing on earth.  We will inherit a home in Paradise one day (Heaven).  We can bless others with our testimony, and even defeat evil. 
They triumphed over him (devil) by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony; they did not love their lives so much as to shrink from death.
Revelation 12:11
When I first learned about our testimony being so important I was pretty surprised.  But it does make sense.  The Holy Spirit is within us and our testimony is part of it all.  If we believe, then the words to defeat satan's attacks will come.  We can pray for protection through Christ's blood which is incredibly powerful, and also our experience (testimony).  Of course there is also power in using Jesus' name.  Best not to use it as a cuss word tho...    

8 But then, indeed, when you did not know God, you served those which by nature are not gods. 9 But now after you have known God, or rather are known by God, how is it that you turn again to the weak and beggarly elements, to which you desire again to be in bondage? 10 You observe days and months and seasons and years. 11 I am afraid for you, lest I have labored for you in vain.
These verses are a description from the time period.  There were many Greek temples where people would make sacrifices to idols (statues) in Galatia.  The early Christians faced many things.  Roman occupation of lands, Greek temples (eventual destruction), paranoid Jewish rulers.  

12 Brethren, I urge you to become like me, for I became like you. You have not injured me at all. 13 You know that because of physical infirmity I preached the gospel to you at the first. 14 And my trial which was in my flesh you did not despise or reject, but you received me as an angel of God, even as Christ Jesus. 15 What then was the blessing you enjoyed? For I bear you witness that, if possible, you would have plucked out your own eyes and given them to me. 16 Have I therefore become your enemy because I tell you the truth?
Telling the truth to others can be hard.  Sometimes the people most reluctant to become Christians are those in our families.  I think they remember us before and just don't get it.  We do need to keep talking and reaching out to them.

17 They zealously court you, but for no good; yes, they want to exclude you, that you may be zealous for them. 18 But it is good to be zealous in a good thing always, and not only when I am present with you. 19 My little children, for whom I labor in birth again until Christ is formed in you, 20 I would like to be present with you now and to change my tone; for I have doubts about you.
It sounds like the people who worshipped statues constantly tried to get the Christians to go back to worshipping statues with them.  They were missed since they joined the Church.  I've always tried to stay friends with family and friends.  I don't enjoy the same things as they do- and I'm 54 now so it's different.  One of our family friends recently asked, "Why did you become a Christian anyway?"

So I told her. 
(Galatians 4:1-20 NKJV)


The news is getting more and more crazy every day.  Jesus said,
You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come.
Matthew 24:6
I'm going to stop here in Galatians and move on to Revelation next.  I'll come back to Galatians later.

Dear Heavenly Father,
So many nations to pray for now.  Lord I lift up Ukraine, Israel, Iraq, and Turkey.  I pray the wrong will fail and the right will win.  Please grant our world leaders wisdom in stopping the terrorism.  Help them to put aside selfish ambitions.  Open their eyes to the needs of the people.

Our Father in heaven,
Reveal who you are.
10 Set the world right;
Do what's best––
  as above, so below.
11 Keep us alive with three square meals.
12 Keep us forgiven with you and forgiving others.
13 Keep us safe from ourselves and the Devil.
You're in charge!
You can do anything you want!
You're ablaze in beauty!
  Yes. Yes. Yes .
(Matthew 6:9-13 Message)

In Jesus Name, Amen.

Here's a song from David Crowder Band, “How He loves us” (link)  David looks a little scruffy but his heart is definitely in the right place.

No comments:

Post a Comment