Thursday, August 21, 2014

Governor Christie Townhall & the Church at Smyrna (Revelation 2:8-17)


"Governor Chris Christie"
Long Branch, NJ

© Karen Kyle Ericson, all rights reserved.
This is my Governor in New Jersey.  I'm actually quite proud of him.  He's been doing these townhall meetings along the Jersey shore.  My husband and I went to Belmar to listen to him first. I was struck by how he really cares about our people.  I understand he's popular in England too : )  You can't have him he's ours hahaha.  I thanked him for all his hard work and shook his hand.  Then I told him that we need him as President.  He told me he's thinking about it.  That was in Belmar, NJ last month.  In Long Branch, he talked more about my question.  He said his first concern is for his family, especially the kids.  Their lives would completely change.  I was impressed by that answer.  Also, our property taxes have risen to new heights this year.  It's much higher than our mortgage payments.  He is very concerned and wants to fix it for us.  He even asked if we could handle anymore tax increases.  We all shook our head, "No."   I got lots of photos of him talking.  He also said he still has time to think about the Presidency.

Now here's where I need prayer as a photographer.  After he finished talking, he walked off to the side.  I wanted to tell him about the Urban Promise ministry in Camden. So I tried to get his attention.  He saw a Veteran in a wheel chair and stood and talked to him.  My heart melted and I didn't get a shot...  (I sent him an e-mail with the web address).  Then he started doing selfies with the crowd it was really cute AND I DIDN'T GET A PHOTO!!!  OY!  Please pray for me on these photo ops for more mental focus...  To sum up, my husband and I were both impressed by him.  And to be honest sometimes it's best to just let people have fun.

So, here's more from Revelation, (I added some of my favorite verses).

Smyrna was the Church that faced persecution.
8 “And to the angel of the church in Smyrna write,
‘These things says the First and the Last, who was dead, and came to life:  9 “I know your works, tribulation, and poverty (but you are rich); and I know the blasphemy of those who say they are Jews and are not, but are a synagogue of Satan. 10 Do not fear any of those things which you are about to suffer. Indeed, the devil is about to throw some of you into prison, that you may be tested, and you will have tribulation ten days. Be faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life.
11 “He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. He who overcomes shall not be hurt by the second death.”’
I think the second death is for people who do not believe in Jesus.  People who deny God's existence.  We are seeing this in Iraq today.  Jesus is telling Christians not to be afraid.  It would be hard not to be afraid in the face of death.  But, I can say from experience that when I am most afraid and pray, God gives me this amazing peace.  I quote Bible verses, like,
"The Lord your God in your midst,
The Mighty One, will save;
He will rejoice over you with gladness,
He will quiet you with His love,
He will rejoice over you with singing.
(Zephaniah 3:17 NKJV)"

I have also prayed for Jesus to cover me with His blood.  His sacrifice and blood is the most powerful thing on earth.  Revelation 12:11 helps us know how to defeat satan.
"They triumphed over him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony; they did not love their lives so much as to shrink from death."
(Revelation 12:11 NKJV)
It's important to memorize Bible verses.  I can quote them in times of need.  I read a doctor found patients with faith get well much faster. : )  The Holy Spirit can use them as well.  Here's another one of my emergency verses, I used to quote this every time a contract job would end and found peace:
"19 And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus."
(Philippians 4:19 NKJV)

"For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms."
(Ephesians 6:12 NKJV)
There's a battle between good and evil in Heaven and on earth.  Even our President now understands the insanity of this evil.  Evil isn't a holy war, it is what it is.  An attempt to destroy all that is good. It is not a religion.

Dear Heavenly Father,
I continue to thank and praise you for Interpol and the joining of nations to fight terrorism.  I pray for Your hand of protection on those who are in danger.  Please comfort those who have lost loved ones.  I lift up our Governor to You as well and pray You will guide and bless him in his decisions.  And Lord, please help me not to forget to click the shutter button and miss the good stuff.  People are harder than animals for me.
In Jesus Name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment