Thursday, August 14, 2014

Symbols of God's love (Revelation 1:12-20, Hebrews 4:12, Isaiah 1:18, Exodus 27:20, Matt. 5:14-16, Psalms 104:4)


This part of Revelation 1 is full of simple descriptions and phrases, "one like the Son of Man,"  would be Jesus.  He is also known as the Son of God.  I'm having fun : )

12 Then I turned to see the voice that spoke with me. And having turned I saw seven golden lampstands, 13 and in the midst of the seven lampstands One like the Son of Man, clothed with a garment down to the feet and girded about the chest with a golden band. 14 His head and hair were white like wool, as white as snow, and His eyes like a flame of fire; 15 His feet were like fine brass, as if refined in a furnace, and His voice as the sound of many waters; 16 He had in His right hand seven stars, out of His mouth went a sharp two- edged sword, and His countenance was like the sun shining in its strength.
Revelation 1:12-16

The image described in verses 12-16 is stunning.  Jesus is standing in the midst of 7 lit golden lampstands.   He is wearing a white robe with a golden band around his chest.  His head and hair are white like snow and His eyes are like fire.  His feet are brass.  His voice sounds like the ocean.  And a sword is coming out His mouth-  He is brilliant like the sun.  These are symbols.  I looked up the key words in my Olive Tree software and here's what I found:

The Sword is the Word of God (Bible).
For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two- edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart
(Hebrews 4:12 NKJV)
Snow is the forgiveness of our sin, purity.
18 “Come now, and let us reason together,”
Says the Lord,
“Though your sins are like scarlet,
They shall be as white as snow;
Though they are red like crimson,
They shall be as wool."
(Isaiah 1:18 NKJV)
God's command for the temple lamp stand (the Menorah) there were no windows for light only the lamp stand.
"You shall charge the sons of Israel, that they bring you clear oil of beaten olives for the light, to make a lamp burn continually."
(Exodus 27:20)
  
As Christians, we are the light of the world now.
14 “You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. 16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven." (Matthew 5:14-16)
His Servants are His flames of fire.  His eyes are on us.
4 Who makes His angels spirits, 
His ministers a flame of fire.
(Psalms 104:4 NKJV)
His feet are brass, refined in fire.  His chest is covered by a golden band which implies royalty.  He is King of kings.  He is love.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. (1 Corinthians 13:1 NKJV)

17 And when I saw Him, I fell at His feet as dead. But He laid His right hand on me, saying to me, “Do not be afraid; I am the First and the Last. 18 I am He who lives, and was dead, and behold, I am alive forevermore. Amen. And I have the keys of Hades and of Death. 19 Write the things which you have seen, and the things which are, and the things which will take place after this. 20 The mystery of the seven stars which you saw in My right hand, and the seven golden lampstands: The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches, and the seven lampstands which you saw are the seven churches.
(Revelation 1:12-20 NKJV)

After reading the Bible for many years, I've come to love the disciples in the Bible.  Jesus chose men and women of character.  People like us with fear, humor, and hope in the Messiah.  I think I would have the same reaction as John if I saw Jesus like this.  He fell on his face in fear.  My knees would be shaking I'm sure.  In these verses, John is tasked with writing down the content in the book of Revelation.  Let me know if you figure out more of the symbols.

Here's my prayer.  So much stuff happening around the world.  Even the Pope is concerned and asking our country to jump in and stop the violence.  I hope we will.  

Dear Heavenly Father I lift up Ukraine, Iraq, and Israel to You.  I pray the right will win and the wrong will fail.  Please help our President understand the difference between appearance and allowing terrorists to thrive at the cost of so many Christians, humans.  Please help all the nations understand how to stop this madness.  Help us to react swiftly and with wisdom.

Our Father in heaven,
Reveal who you are.
10 Set the world right;
Do what's best––
  as above, so below.
11 Keep us alive with three square meals.
12 Keep us forgiven with you and forgiving others.
13 Keep us safe from ourselves and the Devil.
You're in charge!
You can do anything you want!
You're ablaze in beauty!
  Yes. Yes. Yes .
(Matthew 6:9-13 Message)

In Jesus Name, Amen.

Here's a great song by Building 429, "Glory Defined" (link)

No comments:

Post a Comment