Thursday, December 9, 2010

Dignity for those in need

Psalms 41
1 Dignify those who are down on their luck;
you'll feel good — that's what God does.
2 God looks after us all,
makes us robust with life
Lucky to be in the land,
we're free from enemy worries.
3 Whenever we're sick and in bed,
God becomes our nurse,
nurses us back to health.
THE MESSAGE

Verse 1 stands out to me because it says to give dignity to those who are down on their luck.  I hate to see people blame others when they're already down.  It says that we'll feel good if we help people in a manner of dignity and compassion.  One time my husband and I were saving up to buy some Christian books to be a part of a Bible Study group.  We were newly weds and didn't have much money.  I reached under my seat for my Bible and there was $40 in the cover... Someone snuck it in.  I was delighted.  The person who gave it to us didn't need applause just wanted to help.  I still think highly of them though I don't know who they are.  There are ways to help others without telling them what you're doing.  Leaving groceries on the door step.  Asking to work on a car.  So many fun ways to surprise people.  In this Psalm is another description of God.  He's our nurse and brings us back to health.  It's impressive that the Almighty God, Creator of the universe cares about our dignity.  Jesus often helped the blind, sick and burdened.  Here's how Jesus handled the "who's to blame" issue:
John 9:1-5
Now as Jesus passed by, He saw a man who was blind from birth. 2 And His disciples asked Him, saying, "Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?"
3 Jesus answered, "Neither this man nor his parents sinned, but that the works of God should be revealed in him.  4 I must work the works of Him who sent Me while it is day; the night is coming when no one can work.  5 As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world."
NKJV


It's important to note that there are two types of blindness in the Bible: physical, and spiritual.  Spiritual blindness is a life without God.

No comments:

Post a Comment