Monday, August 15, 2011

Trails or tumbleweeds?

As I read the Proverbs this time, I notice how God's wisdom applies to my whole life.  Where man's wisdom doesn't.  I remember these sayings, "A penny saved is a penny earned."  This really applies to money.  "Look both ways before crossing the street," another very wise saying but it applies to traffic.  The wisdom of God applies to everything from dating and marriage to work. 

Proverbs 2:9-15

By learning about God's wisdom I can tell the difference between what's true and what's fair.  I can check out what the risk is in a decision and avoid some disasters.  Lady Wisdom and Brother Knowledge are great companions.  God wants me to use my head and not just run down trails absent mindedly. : )  Wisdom and knowledge bring good sense and insight that can keep us from some big mistakes.
9 So now you can pick out what's true and fair,
find all the good trails!
10 Lady Wisdom will be your close friend,
and Brother Knowledge your pleasant companion.

I think things would go much smoother if I thought about how some of my words can be interpreted, before I say them to my husband. : )  My Pastor calls this, "intense fellowship."  If I know a field isn't doing well in the business world, I'd be wise to avoid it.

11 Good Sense will scout ahead for danger,
Insight will keep an eye out for you.
12 They'll keep you from making wrong turns,
or following the bad directions

Many of the things we try and avoid as Christians like drunkenness, or proving how perfect we are, go nowhere.  They are tumbleweeds that roll around in the desert, alone, dry and empty.  I love this description "can't tell a trail from a tumbleweed."  I've certainly had days like that.
13 Of those who are lost themselves
and can't tell a trail from a tumbleweed,
14 These losers who make a game of evil
and throw parties to celebrate perversity,
15 Traveling paths that go nowhere,
wandering in a maze of detours and dead ends.
THE MESSAGE

Here's what Jesus said,
John 16:33
...In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.
NIV

2 comments:

  1. It's sooooo easy to be sucked into the ways of the world---the peer pressure, the pride, the materialism, etc, etc...

    Isn't it great to just stop and remember what is really important? It takes all the pressure off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so right Clint. Even as I set up a new career in the arts, I have to stop and remind myself how much business (programming) has changed. I'm not crazy- it's all going to templates now. To get a part-time job you have to take an online personality test... sigh.

    I admit I miss the paycheck- but I am so much happier now. The pressure comes off like you said.

    ReplyDelete