Thursday, January 20, 2011

Applause for God!

Psalms 66

1 All together now — applause for God! 2 Sing songs to the tune of his glory, set glory to the rhythms of his praise. 3 Say of God, "We've never seen anything like him!" When your enemies see you in action, they slink off like scolded dogs. 4 The whole earth falls to its kneesit worships you, sings to you,can't stop enjoying your name and fame. 5 Take a good look at God's wondersthey'll take your breath away. 6 He converted sea to dry land; travelers crossed the river on foot. Now isn't that cause for a song?
7 Ever sovereign in his high tower, he keeps his eye on the godless nations. Rebels don't dare raise a finger against him.
8 Bless our God, O peoples! Give him a thunderous welcome! 9 Didn't he set us on the road to life? Didn't he keep us out of the ditch? 10 He trained us first, passed us like silver through refining fires, 11 Brought us into hardscrabble country, pushed us to our very limit, 12 Road-tested us inside and out, took us to hell and back; Finally he brought us to this well-watered place.

16 All believers, come here and listen, let me tell you what God did for me. 17 I called out to him with my mouth, my tongue shaped the sounds of music. 18 If I had been cozy with evil, the Lord would never have listened. 19 But he most surely did listen, he came on the double when he heard my prayer. 20 Blessed be God: he didn't turn a deaf ear, he stayed with me, loyal in his love.
THE MESSAGE

Ok I'm a conservative Christian.  Even as a young child I was awkward and uncoordinated, the doctor even noticed.  I was not the dancing queen in High School, I can assure you.  If there's a pew to walk into, I will.  A crack in the sidewalk to trip on- yup.  But I read this Psalm this morning and felt like I should shout, "Glory!" and do a dance.  He doesn't mind if we aren't graceful- He's got all the grace in the world.  Verse 6 describes how God parted the waters so Moses could lead His people across.  In verse 7 He assures us He is watching what's going on in the nations. 

These verses are amazing.  He does set us on the road to life.  The training program can be a bit intense.  But it's like silver, we are being refined by fire.  Most of us know what it's like to be pushed to our very limit, to hell and back.  Then He gently and lovingly brings us to a well watered place, a place of rest and peace.  Life can be very hard at times no one would disagree.  To me, it's a comfort to know there's a reason behind it.  I can't describe how many times He's pulled me out of a ditch; I have no idea how many times He helped me avoid one.
9 Didn't he set us on the road to life? Didn't he keep us out of the ditch? 10 He trained us first, passed us like silver through refining fires, 11 Brought us into hardscrabble country, pushed us to our very limit, 12 Road-tested us inside and out, took us to hell and back; Finally he brought us to this well-watered place.


God listens.  That in itself is pretty amazing.
19 But he most surely did listen, he came on the double when he heard my prayer. 20 Blessed be God: he didn't turn a deaf ear, he stayed with me, loyal in his love

No matter what we face today, He has a plan and knows what He's doing.
Jeremiah 29
11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. 12 Then you will call upon Me and go and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. 13 And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart.
NKJV

2 comments:

  1. They really are so amazing! What I love about them is the joyful confidence they radiate! We really do praise an awesome God and I bet He would LOVE to see you dancing!:)

    Have a wonderful day and thank you so much for sharing this! Please keep on doing your beautiful reflections, I enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Colleen! You have a wonderful day too. I appreciate your encouragement. God is awesome! When I read these Psalms I stand back and think, "Wow!"

    ReplyDelete