Saturday, January 29, 2011

When I'm old and gray

This is a beautiful prayer about aging.  For those that are young, it will never happen.  For those of us who are middle-aged, it's becoming a reality.  And for those who are elderly, it's a prayer of hope.  Chuck Delaney, Dean of the New York Institute of Photography, told us not to bench ourselves.  He was encouraging us to not give up on photography but to keep at it.  Sometimes we don't feel like shooting, and all the flowers start to look the same.  As I get older, I need to keep from benching myself as well.  Each year the winter seems a bit colder.  There's a little something God has for all of us to do, even if it's as simple as praying for others.

Psalms 71
9 But don't turn me out to pasture when I'm old
or put me on the shelf when I can't pull my weight.

David's story with God, began as a young shepherd boy playing a harp, and tending his sheep.  In this Psalm he has a dream for his old age, he wants to keep telling the world about God.  No one is like Him.  I became a Christian at age 16, in two months I'll be 51.  Yikes!  The following verses seem very familiar to me.  Except, I have no ability to play a musical instrument whatsoever.  I do love to sing.

Psalms 71
17 You got me when I was an unformed youth
God, and taught me everything I know.  
Now I'm telling the world your wonders
18 I'll keep at it until I'm old and gray.  
God, don't walk off and leave me 
until I get out the news
Of your strong right arm to this world,
news of your power to the world yet to come,
19 Your famous and righteous 
ways, O God.  
God, you've done it all!
Who is quite like you? 
20 You, who made me stare trouble in the face,
Turn me around
Now let me look life in the face
I've been to the bottom
21 Bring me up, streaming with honors; 
turn to me, be tender to me,  
22 And I'll take up the lute and thank you
to the tune of your faithfulness, God.  
I'll make music for you on a harp
Holy One of Israel. 
23 When I open up in song to you
I let out lungsful of praise
my rescued life a song
24 All day long I'm chanting 
about you and your righteous ways,
While those who tried to do me in 
slink off looking ashamed.
THE MESSAGE

4 comments:

  1. This has got to be one of my favorite psalms Karen and I really like your observations. You have a lot of wisdom to share and I enjoy how you make it so assessable.

    God bless my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the encouragement. The Bible has a ton of good stuff in it. :) God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Karen

    Thank you for this piece.

    We are never too old for the glory of GOD to be upon us and to let our lights for Him shine.

    How wonderful it is to grow old in GOD!

    ReplyDelete