Tuesday, January 25, 2011

In over my head

One of the things I love about David and the Psalms, is he was very expressive.  The Psalms reach the highest peaks emotionally and the lowest depths.   They are so easy to relate to.  This Psalm is about 4 pages long.  The part that stood out to me the most today, was how he used the image of a swamp to describe his situation.  I pulled out the verses in the Psalm that seem to follow this thread.  I find that even in the dreary Psalms of anguish, they usually end with an awesome praise.  It's worthwhile to read through them.  

When I think of a swamp, I remember a place in Bar Harbor, ME.  It was a beautiful inlet surrounded by trees and a bay.  However, when the water receded the mud was so thick and wet you would sink into it.  My husband had this happen to him!  And it was up to me to rescue him... Yikes!  I had to get a branch and hold on on one end and pray a lot.  I'm really not that strong- he lost a tennis shoe in the process but we got him out.  The look on his face was priceless.  But there are times, I must put the camera away...

Psalms 69
1 God, God, save me!
I'm in over my head,

2 Quicksand under me, swamp water over me;
I'm going down for the third time.

13 And me? I pray.
God, it's time for a break!
God, answer in love!
Answer with your sure salvation!

14 Rescue me from the swamp,
Don't let me go under for good,
Pull me out of the clutch of the enemy;
This whirlpool is sucking me down.

15 Don't let the swamp be my grave, the Black Hole
Swallow me, its jaws clenched around me.

16 Now answer me, God, because you love me;
Let me see your great mercy full-face.

29 I'm hurt and in pain;
Give me space for healing, and mountain air.

32 The poor in spirit see and are glad
Oh, you God-seekers, take heart!

33 For God listens to the poor,
He doesn't walk out on the wretched.

34 You heavens, praise him; praise him, earth;
Also ocean and all things that swim in it.

35 Guess who will live there
The proud owners of the land?

36 No, the children of his servants will get it,
The lovers of his name will live in it.
THE MESSAGE

We all experience those times where we feel stuck.  At work, with our families, as Christians, so many things we can get stuck in.  Today, I have a strong burden for those in the military overseas, think I'll say a prayer for them.  For me, I'm working at home now.  At first I was so excited not to have a boss looking over my shoulder!  Then I realized I tend to do a lot more at home than work.  Maybe I should put up a photo of a stern faced man...   All situations seem to bring something challenging.  It's good to acknowledge when we feel stuck and come up with ideas to get out.  It's great to praise God, to see and be glad, take heart!  God listens, He doesn't walk out.  We are the lovers of His name.  There's always hope and miracles.

No comments:

Post a Comment