Monday, July 18, 2011

Get me out of here

This could apply to so many situations.  Homes, war, school, work- almost anywhere that people gather, things can deteriorate.  David is in the middle of things again.  Some want to go to war and David doesn't want to.   He knows all to well what war is like.

Psalm 140

Some of this describes what's on TV, doesn't it?  Sometimes I feel it in my heart and I need to pray for deliverance, forgiveness and a clean heart.  We can change the channel or turn off the TV.  But sometimes life isn't that easy to control.
1 Deliver me, O Lord, from evil men;
Preserve me from violent men,
2 Who plan evil things in their hearts;
They continually gather together for war.
3 They sharpen their tongues like a serpent;
The poison of asps is under their lips.
Selah

The word, "Selah" is unknown.  It's thought to mean, "lift up" like we say, "Amen."  It could also be a break in the song- either just voices or just instruments.

Even today, we need His protection.  I feel like I need to be watchful of the things I watch on TV, magazines, books, music, even bad guys roaming the streets.  So many things disguised as entertainment can cause problems in our souls.  I believe some of it has to do with our pasts though.  Before I became a Christian, I was proud of the way I could cut down arrogant people.  My friends used to love to watch me.  But after I became a Christian, I learned that both pride and humiliating others were wrong.  Whenever I see this now, I feel sad.  I still have moments of being very direct with people, but I try and do it in honesty and love.
4 Keep me, O Lord, from the hands of the wicked;
Preserve me from violent men,
Who have purposed to make my steps stumble.
5 The proud have hidden a snare for me, and cords;
They have spread a net by the wayside;
They have set traps for me.
Selah

David always gives us some bright spots in his Psalms : )
6 I said to the Lord: "You are my God;
Hear the voice of my supplications, O Lord.
7 O God the Lord, the strength of my salvation,
You have covered my head in the day of battle.
8 Do not grant, O Lord, the desires of the wicked;
Do not further his wicked scheme,
Lest they be exalted.
Selah

This is focused specifically on the evil leader.  You could probably see it as either a curse or an honest response to war.  Personally, I see this as a request that the leader receive what they are telling others to do.  Many times in battles, the mastermind isn't in the actual battle.   Sort of makes me think of the verse "do to others as you'd have them do to you."  Sometimes leaders (family, work, war...) ask things of others that they themselves aren't willing to do.
9 "As for the head of those who surround me,
Let the evil of their lips cover them;
10 Let burning coals fall upon them;
Let them be cast into the fire,
Into deep pits, that they rise not up again.
11 Let not a slanderer be established in the earth;
Let evil hunt the violent man to overthrow him."

I always feel so humble when I read about this side of the Lord in the Bible.   He really cares and has compassion for those who are hurting.  Sometimes it feels so lonely and endless.  But He's not done yet!
12 I know that the Lord will maintain
The cause of the afflicted,
And justice for the poor.
13 Surely the righteous shall give thanks to Your name;
The upright shall dwell in Your presence.
NKJV

I've thought of this verse often when I was out of work, or financially challenged : )  It's true.  He always provides.  There's a huge reward in believing, never alone, never forsaken.
Psalm 37:25-26
25 I have been young, and now am old;
Yet I have not seen the righteous forsaken,
Nor his descendants begging bread.
26 He is ever merciful, and lends;
And his descendants are blessed.
NKJV

This verse came to mind too.  There's a time to wait and a time to move on. As one of my friends used to say, "God has to give me a swift kick in the behind to get me to move on sometimes."  In other words, God has a way of letting us know when it's time to move on. 
1 Corinthians 7:17
And don't be wishing you were someplace else or with someone else. Where you are right now is God's place for you. Live and obey and love and believe right there. God, not your marital status, defines your life. Don't think I'm being harder on you than on the others. I give this same counsel in all the churches.
THE MESSAGE

2 comments:

  1. Hi Karen

    Just found your blog !!! Very good indeed. I like the way you tweak the last scrap of meaning out of a verse.

    God Bless you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Glad you found it : ) God bless you!

    ReplyDelete