Monday, July 4, 2011

Not out-dated

© Karen Kyle Ericson, all rights reserved.
Happy Independence Day USA!  And praise God for our freedom from sin through Christ.  American soldiers have made a sacrifice for our freedom and I am so grateful.  Jesus made the sacrifice to free us from sin, giving us direct access to God!  We have much to celebrate today. 

This is a long Psalm so I pulled out the verses that stood out to me.

Psalm 135

1 Hallelujah!
Praise the name of God,
praise the works of God.

This reminds me of Pastors and people who work in full-time Christian service.  They sacrifice so much.  But they will be rewarded : ) 
2 All you priests on duty in God's temple,
serving in the sacred halls of our God,
3 Shout "Hallelujah!" because God's so good,
sing anthems to his beautiful name.

This is a little interesting.  Jacob was later named Israel by God, and his children became the nation.
4 And why? Because God chose Jacob,
embraced Israel as a prize possession.

I love this part!  He is great.  No one controls Him.  He does as He wants too.  And!  He's always right.  Unlike me...
5 I too give witness to the greatness of God,
our Lord, high above all other gods.
6 He does just as he pleases — however, wherever, whenever.

Wouldn't it be awesome to sit by God and watch Him make a storm? 
7 He makes the weather — clouds and thunder,
lightning and rain, wind pouring out of the north.

God's Word, the Bible will never go out of date.  We may need to look up a few words like what a "yoke" is in a dictionary, look for a time table of when events took place historically, or what a symbol means in a handbook like, "Alpha."  But, God and His Holy Spirit remain the same.  I always ask the Holy Spirit to speak to me through His Word- He's my secret to understanding the Bible.  Everyday He has an application for me.

John 14:26
26 But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you.
NKJV

I am so grateful to have His Word, all the versions, other believers.  When I studied ancient Greek, I was pleasantly surprised to find it matches most of our versions.  He provides our needs, plus we have direct access to Him through Jesus! 
13 God, your name is eternal,
God, you'll never be out-of-date.
14 God stands up for his people,
God holds the hands of his people.

19 Family of Israel, bless God!
Family of Aaron, bless God!
20 Family of Levi, bless God!
You who fear God, bless God!
21 Oh, blessed be God of Zion,

He is the first Citizen of Jerusalem.  I hadn't thought of that before.
First Citizen of Jerusalem!
Hallelujah!
THE MESSAGE

2 comments: