Thursday, July 28, 2011

God is

I know God has a sense of humor.  Just think about the giraffe, that neck...  As I journey through the Bible on this blog, I'm also journeying with my career.  I wrote a giant list of all I need to do to set up my photography business (excluding artwork and writing).  Then I sat down in a dull sigh. "Father, I'm overwhelmed.  Please give me wisdom as to where to start." 

I was expecting a profound thought or Bible verse.  But what came to mind was a song from the movie, "Mary Poppins," sung by Julie Andrews, "Start at the very beginning.  A very nice place to start.  When you read you begin with A, B, C, when you sing you begin with do re me..."

Portfolio!  You can't get anywhere in the arts without one.  So I've been plugging away on my portfolio web site lately (the link is on the top, right column of this page), which is why I'm in and out of my blog.  I have 140 gigabytes of photos...  It may take awhile to sort out the very best.  And, today I submitted some photos to a local newspaper for the editor to review.  I'll let you know how it turns out. 

This Psalm is one of David's, a song of praise.  Some of the verses repeat, "God is..." in them.  The first step in being a Christian is believing God is real. 


Psalm 145

1 I lift you high in praise, my God, O my King!
and I'll bless your name into eternity.

2 I'll bless you every day,
and keep it up from now to eternity.

There's so much we don't know about Him, the more we learn the more magnificent He becomes.
3 God is magnificent; he can never be praised enough.
There are no boundaries to his greatness.

It's true!  So many generations of Christians and Jews have stood in awe before Him.  Can you imagine the testimonies?
4 Generation after generation stands in awe of your work;

each one tells stories of your mighty acts.

5 Your beauty and splendor have everyone talking;
I compose songs on your wonders.

It's interesting there are times I read the headlines and think, "Praise God."  There were tornadoes that were sent away from people, defying all the science earlier this summer.
6 Your marvelous doings are headline news;
I could write a book full of the details of your greatness.

It would be wonderful if this were true.  One look at comments in the New York Times leaves me wondering how we got here.  But I must remember there are still a lot of believers in our country.
7 The fame of your goodness spreads across the country;
your righteousness is on everyone's lips.

8 God is all mercy and grace —
not quick to anger, is rich in love.

9 God is good to one and all;
everything he does is suffused with grace.

10 Creation and creatures applaud you, God;
11 your holy people bless you.

They talk about the glories of your rule,
they exclaim over your splendor,

12 Letting the world know of your power for good,
the lavish splendor of your kingdom.

He can't get voted out of office.  Shew!  Crazy times. 
13 Your kingdom is a kingdom eternal;
you never get voted out of office.


He's not like us getting sidetracked, forgetting, He's working it all out.
God always does what he says,

and is gracious in everything he does.

I've experienced this in my life.
14 God gives a hand to those down on their luck,

gives a fresh start to those ready to quit.

15 All eyes are on you, expectant;
you give them their meals on time.

16 Generous to a fault,
you lavish your favor on all creatures.

17 Everything God does is right —
the trademark on all his works is love.

18 God's there, listening for all who pray,
for all who pray and mean it.

19 He does what's best for those who fear him —
hears them call out, and saves them.

20 God sticks by all who love him,
but it's all over for those who don't.

21 My mouth is filled with God's praise.
Let everything living bless him,
bless his holy name from now to eternity!
THE MESSAGE

My friend Murugi from Her World has asked for prayers for the horn of Africa- Ethiopia, Somalia, and parts of Kenya.  They are experiencing a devastating drought.  Feel free to pray with me if you like. 


Dear Heavenly Father I lift up those in Africa who are suffering from the drought.  Please send rain and hope to these people. I pray You will be present with them and send in workers who can help them.  Comfort those who mourn and bring food to those who are starving.  Nothing is impossible for You.  You control the weather.  Let Your light shine on those who feel forsaken.

In Jesus Name, Amen.

5 comments:

  1. Follow this guide and be completely safe.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. : ) An awesome guide indeed. You're welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just had tears in my eyes Karen as i read this. Thank you for your prayer and i will borrow it and put it on my Blog. God bless you and your family abundantly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww /hugs I'm so glad it encouraged you. It must take a lot of faith to endure what's going on there. The least I can do is say a prayer and pass on a little of mine. God bless! I'll keep praying.

    @Clint- I hope I didn't misunderstand you- the guide you're referring to is the Bible right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Karen -

    I enjoyed this piece. Thank you. Best to you in your photography business.

    I agree in prayer with you for those in Somalia.

    ReplyDelete