Friday, November 25, 2011

From the inside

Glad I'm not the only one who gets confused at times...
© Karen Kyle Ericson, all rights reserved.


Years ago, when I was working at Boeing,  I was having a tough time.  This man walked up to me and asked, "Why are you so down?  You're usually so full of light."  So much was going on at the time I was discouraged.  So I couldn't answer him, except to say, "Life."  I didn't even realize I'd lost the light.  So, even though I didn't feel like it, I put effort into reading the Bible and praying.  I went back to work and saw the same man.  He smiled and nodded at me.  It was huge.  I've learned that what I'm thinking and feeling on the inside displays on the outside. 

This Proverb has wisdom for our hearts.

Proverbs 20

3 It is to one’s honor to avoid strife,
but every fool is quick to quarrel.
It's always best to avoid strife.  But sometimes honesty is necessary.  What I've been told is that I tend to put up with a lot patiently, but there's a point when I'm done.  Then I speak what I think.  I'm not sure any of us are always gracious when we speak.   It is foolish to be quick to quarrel.  It's better to ask questions, like, "What did you mean when you said ...?"

5 The purposes of a person’s heart are deep waters,
but one who has insight draws them out.
My thoughts do get jumbled.  When I was a little girl I stuttered.  I've learned if I write out all my thoughts on paper- then go through one at a time asking, "Is this true?  A possibility? or just frustration?"  I sort out my thoughts.  The Holy Spirit can draw us out of deep water too.  Sometimes I ask Him to counsel me.
Jesus said:

16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever— 17 the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you.
John 14:16-17 NIV

6 Many claim to have unfailing love,
but a faithful person who can find?
This verse reminds me of teenagers.  Young people are sure they've fallen madly in love with the right person, on the first date.  I honestly can't remember how many boyfriends I had before I got married... (blush).  He's a good man, so glad all that's over now.   God's love is unfailing : )

12 Ears that hear and eyes that see—
the Lord has made them both.
This is a bit humbling.  So... sounds like I'm supposed to listen with my ears, and not just play music.  And also use my eyes to see what's really going on.  Lord, help me see people the way You see them, to really hear.

15 Gold there is, and rubies in abundance,
but lips that speak knowledge are a rare jewel.
Sometimes having a question answered is priceless.  I think in this verse it's described as rare, because we tend to give answers to questions no one is asking...  It's important to gain knowledge, especially about the Bible.  Even better to share it with someone who wants to hear.

19 A gossip betrays a confidence;
so avoid anyone who talks too much.
This is one that gives me a chuckle.  Avoid anyone who talks too much... Err that would be me sometimes...  Probably good to think about that when I'm with others.

21 An inheritance claimed too soon
will not be blessed at the end.
This makes sense.  Inheritances tend to get larger as time passes.   Sometimes I need to wait, because God has a plan involved that I'm not aware of.  I'd imagine anything to do with money, the banks, and government takes awhile to process anywhere.  But the part about being "blessed" in the end sounds wonderful.

22 Do not say, “I’ll pay you back for this wrong!”
Wait for the Lord, and he will avenge you.
This is important.  When I feel like I want to get revenge, I try and quote "Vengeance is mine sayeth the Lord," over and over until I believe it.  Things can get much worse if I don't.

24 A person’s steps are directed by the Lord.
How then can anyone understand their own way?
I love this one.  This is how I feel today.  I have no idea where I'm going in the long run.  All I can do is keep working for the Lord, for my family.  My steps are directed by Him.  He has many surprises along the way.

27 The human spirit is the lamp of the Lord
that sheds light on one’s inmost being.
I love this verse.  If I have no spirit I'll be depressed.  But if I can just keep looking up to Jesus, each day, I keep going.  It reminds me of the old saying, "Keep your spirits up!"  Athletes are good at this.  The Lord has a way of restoring my joy, sometimes I pray He'll provide what He knows I need.  I honestly don't always know.  Paul describes Christians as running a race.
Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.  Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever.
1 Corinthians 9:24-25
NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment