Friday, November 4, 2011

When calamity comes

One of the great things about Proverbs is there's a verse for everything.  A little chunk of wisdom.  Some of these chapters are very long, and I feel bad when my posts are too long.  So I'm pulling out verses that stand out to me, as always feel free to read this chapter on your own to see the rest.   God tends to have a special message for us as individuals each day- so He may have something special for you : )

Proverbs 14

This reminds me of the saying, "You can't really know a man, until you walk a mile in his shoes."  When someone seems overly excited about their success, maybe it's because they've had lots of heartache.
10 Each heart knows its own bitterness,
and no one else can share its joy.

I believe this applies to both men and women.  Tearing down our houses to me, means tearing down those inside it.  Our house isn't a home without someone inside.  It speaks to me about cutting myself down as well.  I am God's, His daughter, who am I to tear down His work?  It's ok to have confidence especially with trust in the Lord.
14 The wise woman builds her house,
but with her own hands the foolish one tears hers down.

This is so true!  I am a little sister.  My big brother taught me so much about not believing everything I hear, or do everything your told without thinking.  Fingers don't belong in light sockets!  He was wrong.  Always have to learn things the hard way...  I laughed so hard remembering that I got tears.  : )  We have two choices in calamity panic or pray- sometimes both.
15 The simple believe anything,
but the prudent give thought to their steps.

It's all perspective, what our motives are.
22 Do not those who plot evil go astray?
But those who plan what is good find love and faithfulness.

My Grandmother, left a legacy of faith for my family.  It skipped a generation, but not me.  God has been faithful to her after all these years.
26 Whoever fears the Lord has a secure fortress,
and for their children it will be a refuge.

These two verses speak about the needy.  The "poor" in the Bible are both those who don't know Him, "poor in spirit."  And also those who are lacking money, those who have broken hearts.  These verses tell us to be kind to them.  There was a man a few weeks ago who was sitting alone on a seat at Church.  He usually sat with his wife.  He's a nice older fellow, I've always liked him.  So as I was leaving I walked over and said, "Hi!  How are you?"  He stood up with tears in his eyes and said, "God bless you."  And gave me a hug.  I don't know the story behind what happened, but I prayed all the way out the door.  Sometimes it's good to just be with someone, without words.  "Lord, give me eyes to see those who need a hug."
21 It is a sin to despise one’s neighbor,
but blessed is the one who is kind to the needy.
31 Whoever oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker,
but whoever is kind to the needy honors God.

Stress is hard to handle for sure.  You have a medical test, then worry about the results, can't sleep, so you're memory gets weird.  Then you get a headache so you have to take medicine and wonder what that's doing to your body.  Hahaha, sometimes I wonder if tests are all that good for us.  Or maybe it's a faith issue.  Envy?  It makes me completely ignore my own life and focus on someone else.  Such a waste.
30 A heart at peace gives life to the body,
but envy rots the bones.

The righteous seek refuge in God!  I like that.  Truly though it's not so good to be around someone who gets extremely angry.  The word, "reposes" means put to rest.  By using wisdom and discernment we find peace in struggles.
32 When calamity comes, the wicked are brought down,
but even in death the righteous seek refuge in God.
33 Wisdom reposes in the heart of the discerning
and even among fools she lets herself be known.
34 Righteousness exalts a nation,
but sin condemns any people.
NIV

5 comments:

  1. I love proverbs. I have spent much time reading and thinking about these chestnuts of wisdom....

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are good : ) It seems like there's something in there for every situation. Thanks Clint. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Karen, great post! v.34 makes me sad because it reminds me of our nation. Despite what the revisionists claim, the U.S. was founded on Christian principles. One of the first acts of Congress was to purchase a Bible for every congressman, and prayer and Bible reading were common in official sessions. God blessed the U.S.A. richly in so many ways. Now that the nation is not only upholding sin but seems to be proud of it, I believe God will remove His protective hand, and in many ways we are seeing the results of that already.
    God bless you!
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Laurie- I think you're right, our country's own actions have caused much harm and danger for our people. It's wonderful to remember how George Washington prayed before battle. They used to have a full-time Pastor come in and pray at the sessions in Congress. Our nation is on shaky ground for sure. Our judicial system was set up like the time of Moses. And the Ten Commandments used to be the core of our Constitution. I think it's going beyond our nation as well. But, there are many who are beginning to rise up against liberal views all around the world. There still may be time to change our direction. But one day, the end times will come. All we can do is pray and trust in God. Keep loving and helping others.

    True freedom isn't telling people what to think. But allowing people to think on their own, to believe what they choose.

    Jesus said, "Again, I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven." Matthew 18:19

    Thanks for your comment Laurie- it made me think. God bless you!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. People usually look at me funny when I compare our Small Claims Court-Supreme Court judicial system to Moses- so I've got the verses. It was actually Moses' Father-in-law, Jethro that suggested this in Exodus 18:13-27. Break the people down into small groups and have leaders decide if their complaint is a small issue or big then route them appropriately.

    ReplyDelete