Friday, November 11, 2011

Making plans


© Karen Kyle Ericson, all rights reserved.

I have a praise, I finished up my New York Institute of Photography lessons and tests : )  It was a lot of work and included everything from how digital cameras function to shooting perfect building architecture.  It's 6 units that include a total of 43 lessons.  I just need to finish my final photo assignments and I'll be a graduate with a certificate.  So far it's been all A's.  Prayers are appreciated because one of the photos is a glamor shot... Yikes!  I've been in blue jeans since I left office work. Actually they're all tough shots.

My plan was to work on my photography first.  I thought it would be the easiest, quickest way to get into freelancing and earn some money.  Next I'd planned to move on to painting and writing.  I've always dreamed of doing children's books and novels. 

I was reading my Bible one day and was so encouraged.  I thought, "Everyone should know about the Bible."  God gave me a desire to do this blog.  This blog has actually become my favorite to work on.  Would you believe, I'm writing, doing photos, and artwork?    I made my plans but God directed my steps.

Some of these verses are actually in my business plan.  There's so much wisdom in this chapter for making plans.

Proverbs 16

All I can say is Amen!  So many times I've had to ask the Holy Spirit for words to say.   When I do the words come out so nicely : )
1 To humans belong the plans of the heart,
but from the Lord comes the proper answer of the tongue.

This is so true.  When I went in to do Nursing Home portraits, my motives were to keep things simple and move quickly with the elderly, to earn some money for our bills.  God changed my heart when I walked in the door.  The faces were so hopeful, so happy to see me.  I fell in love with many of them.  The guy who couldn't stop talking, the flirt, the beautiful 106 year old woman.  Maybe I should listen to my heart and do more.
2 All a person’s ways seem pure to them,
but motives are weighed by the Lord.

These verses support what I wrote in the beginning.  When you commit your plans to the Lord- things often unfold in the most surprising ways.
3 Commit to the Lord whatever you do,
and he will establish your plans.
4 The Lord works out everything to its proper end—
even the wicked for a day of disaster.

This verse is a bit challenging.  There were people that didn't like me at work.  Some were jealous, some didn't want to see a woman doing the job I had.  Some even wanted to take my job from me deciding they deserved it more than me.  But, I just realized several made peace with me in the end.  My secret to success?  Faith.   And lots of prayer.
7 When the Lord takes pleasure in anyone’s way,
he causes their enemies to make peace with them.
8 Better a little with righteousness
than much gain with injustice.

Ok.  I confess, in college, I flunked my first Old Testament test.   I'd never read it before.  There were so many people to remember and all the sites!  Jebusites, Hittites, Canaanites, Ammonites... Oy!  I had a group of future Pastors walk me around campus the night before the test drilling me, "Who was Isaiah?  When did Abraham come into the picture?"  I was so confused.  The day before the test the Professor quoted this verse (for full effect think of a Southern accent).  He said, "Don't ferget to study fer yer Bible test, remember..."
18 Pride goeth before destruction,
and a haughty spirit before the fall of man.
Then he added, "I don't want to frighten anyone, or mention lightening bolts if yer considerin' cheatin'.  Especially on a BIBLE test."  Dr. Puckett was awesome.  Sometimes it takes more time, practice and lots of study to pass a test.  Now I'm writing about the Bible, go figure...  35 years makes a difference : )  If you're confused by the Bible, don't give up.

I just like this verse,  it's beautiful and visual.
24 Gracious words are a honeycomb,
sweet to the soul and healing to the bones.

True.  How many of us would work at all if we didn't get hungry?
26 The appetite of laborers works for them;
their hunger drives them on.

This is another favorite.  Aging is a good thing especially if we're walking with the Lord.  One day I'll allow my gray hair to shine.
31 Gray hair is a crown of splendor;
it is attained in the way of righteousness.
NIV

6 comments:

  1. It is quite relaxing reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Karen, for the beautiful post, and congrats on your successful studies! Prov. 16: 3 (Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and he will establish your plans) especially speaks to my heart today. Over my computer I have 2 plaster engravings of Prov. 3:5 and 3:6, and they give me much encouragement throughout the day:
    5Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
    6In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

    May God bless you and your studies and your ministry!
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing that testimony! I love those verses too. May God bless you as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog looks great, very easy to read. Congrats on your tests! I just know you will go far in whatever you put your hand to. My idea of success is doing what gives you contentment and peace of mind in knowing it is according to God's will for you.
    ~God Bless You~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Lisa. That's so encouraging. He's always taken good care of me, He will guide me on in the right direction. I agree contentment and peace of mind are worth more than wealth any day.

    God bless you!

    ReplyDelete