Monday, November 28, 2011

Greater than sacrifice

This morning was a bit different.  I opened my Bible accidentally(?) to Micah 6:8 one of my favorite verses. Then I flipped over to Proverbs and found verses 2-3 that are right on track with Micah. When things like this happen I have to say, "Lord, speak to me."  Then I remembered the old Keith Green song, "To Obey Is Better Than Sacrifice."  Here's how He spoke to me.

Proverbs 21

2 A person may think their own ways are right,
but the Lord weighs the heart.
3 To do what is right and just
is more acceptable to the Lord than sacrifice.
Sometimes I feel like I have it all figured out.  Yup.  I'm a Christian.  My walk is steady with the Lord.  Then I remember that woman I should be praying for- the one who is lonely.  I remember telling my husband in the grocery store, not to buy anything that's not on the shopping list.  That was right before I saw one of my favorite types of soda pop... I had to have some.  I looked at him and said, "Guess I deserve an 'H' on my shirt for hypocrite right?"  He agreed.  God looks at our hearts, not just our Church attendance.   He wants us to do what's right and just.  Am I quick to "help" my husband understand saving money, while I consider myself exempt?  That would be a problem.

Micah 6:6-8
6 With what shall I come before the Lord
and bow down before the exalted God?
Shall I come before him with burnt offerings,
with calves a year old?
Since I became a Christian, these have been some favorite verses.  I was so scared and everyone seemed so perfect.  How could I ever be a good Christian?  I'm a sinner.  What can I possibly do?

7 Will the Lord be pleased with thousands of rams,
with ten thousand rivers of olive oil?
Shall I offer my firstborn for my transgression,
the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul?

Obey Him.  Don't try and be a "good" Christian- there's no such thing.  It doesn't matter what other Christians think, it's what God thinks.  Worship Him, learn about Him, serve Him. I want to do my best to reflect Him.  He wants to have a relationship with me.  To talk everyday, for me to listen.
8 He has shown you, O mortal, what is good.
And what does the Lord require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
and to walk humbly with your God.

Jesus made the sacrifice for us.  Nothing we can do can ever take Jesus' place.  On our own we just don't add up.  But through faith in Him our debt is paid.  The least I can do is try and help others and spend time with Him each day.  
Romans 5:18-19
Consequently, just as the result of one trespass was condemnation for all men, so also the result of one act of righteousness was justification that brings life for all men. For just as through the disobedience of the one man the many were made sinners, so also through the obedience of the one man the many will be made righteous.
NIV


Here's the Keith Green song I was describing.  It's so simple, yet we try and make it so complicated.
To Obey Is Better Than Sacrifice (link)

There's always hope:  If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. 1 John 1:9

What are your thoughts?

4 comments:

  1. Amen, Karen! To obey is better than sacrifice. His ways are higher than our ways, and His thoughts than our thoughts. It's not up to us to figure out the reasons, but to obey in faith.

    Thanks for the thought-provoking post, and may you have a blessed week!

    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Laurie! You have a blessed week as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed this post. I am following your blog now. God Bless!

    http://boydweeklydevotional.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Derrick! I'll check out your blog as well.

    ReplyDelete