Monday, November 7, 2011

The soothing tongue

That's about as happy as I can make a tree : )
© Karen Kyle Ericson, all rights reserved.


You will be happy to know I'm embracing my inner home-maker.  I scrubbed today...  I WILL adjust to working at home : )  Err "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!!?"  (Phil. 4:13)  Here are some more bits of wisdom from Proverbs. 

Proverbs 15

This reminds me of two ways to answer someone who's chattering, "Let me think about that for a minute," or "Shut up!"  I chatter sometimes so I know.  And, well, there's those who don't take a hint...  When I was doing Technical Writing, one of my biggest challenges with interviewing engineers was being patient.  They are thinkers.  If I interrupted their silence, they'd have to go back and start over working out their answer. : )  We are a funny bunch aren't we?  We're all different, all unique.  Sometimes being quiet is the right answer.
1 A gentle answer turns away wrath,
but a harsh word stirs up anger.

God sees both the wicked and the good.  He is the judge of both.  Sometimes we don't see things the way He does.  It reminds me of this verse,  Jesus said,

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged." Matthew 7:1
3 The eyes of the Lord are everywhere,
keeping watch on the wicked and the good.

I have a Muslim friend who is one of my biggest cheerleaders.  When I get discouraged, she always says, "I told you you could do it!"  And then I have a relative who says things like, "Well I hope it will be profitable."  Ouch...  A soothing tongue is huge.
4 The soothing tongue is a tree of life,
but a perverse tongue crushes the spirit.

When I'm around a wise person, their knowledge helps me grow and understand.  I love to listen to what others think.  I may not agree all the time, but I can usually find at least an ounce of wisdom.
7 The lips of the wise spread knowledge,
but the hearts of fools are not upright.

Well, I have seen this before- actually I've been this before...  Afraid to be around Christians or wise people because I knew I was doing the wrong thing.
12 Mockers resent correction,
so they avoid the wise.

Doing good makes my heart happy.  Sometimes the joy radiates through my whole soul.  When I have heartache, I feel crushed.  But faith isn't a feeling, it's a choice.  The Bible helps me find joy again.  And it's good to let the tears out too.  God designed us to have a good cry now and then.  Pain builds up in our hearts and like a tea kettle, it needs to be released.  Then there's hope again.
13 A happy heart makes the face cheerful,
but heartache crushes the spirit.

I'm not one for positive thinking.  I think it leads to a nervous twitch in my eye, and muscle cramps in my back.  Faith in God is the answer for me.  The continual feast comes when I count it all joy.  When I see things as a way for me to grow in my faith, when I surrender and let Him handle things. 

James 1:2-3
2 Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3 because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.
NIV

15 All the days of the oppressed are wretched,
but the cheerful heart has a continual feast.

This has been repeated from another Proverb.  It's better to have faith and just a little, than the turmoil of great wealth.  Travel light, and enjoy the journey.
16 Better a little with the fear of the Lord
than great wealth with turmoil.

This reminds me of when my husband and I are arguing and we try and eat dinner together, or we've just received bad news.  Last week I had a great meal planned but my heart wasn't in it.  So I called up my husband and asked if he'd rather go get drive-through dinner, no sense wasting a good meal while we're pouting.  We both laughed and agreed.
17 Better a small serving of vegetables with love
than a fattened calf with hatred.

Again, good advice can only come from a wise person.  These are the advisers who help us succeed.  You can sense when someone speaks wisdom can't you?
22 Plans fail for lack of counsel,
but with many advisers they succeed.

Sometimes someone says just the right thing and you know it was inspired!  My prayer partner does that.  So grateful for her, and her prayers.
23 A person finds joy in giving an apt reply—
and how good is a timely word!

I've met people like this too, who have a sparkle in their eye- and a smile.  They are always a joy.  The Lord knows we need good news too.  So He gives us sunshine and rain as we grow in Him.
30 Light in a messenger’s eyes brings joy to the heart,
and good news gives health to the bones.
NIV

6 comments:

  1. These are wise and helpful words to wake up Karen. Thank you for giving me a positive and thoughtful start to my day! Wishing you a wonderful one! Love from Norway my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Colleen! It's great to see you again. I'm so glad you were blessed. You have a wonderful day too! Love from the USA my friend : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. All this wisdom so early in the morning makes me dizzy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahaha it's ok- as you wake up it will dawn on you! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Mockers resent correction,so they avoid the wise."

    I got corrected this morning. It was a public statemetn I made to the media that was ... not correct. Your post made me stand up straight, take my lumps, and learn a little.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ouch David! Sorry about that. Hate when that happens. Thanks for sharing that testimony. I'll say a prayer for ya : )

    ReplyDelete