Monday, November 29, 2010

Me ornery?

Psalms 32
6 These things add up. Every one of us needs to pray;
when all hell breaks loose and the dam bursts
we'll be on high ground, untouched.
7 God's my island hideaway,
keeps danger far from the shore,
throws garlands of hosannas around my neck.
8 Let me give you some good advice;
I'm looking you in the eye
and giving it to you straight:
9 "Don't be ornery like a horse or mule
that needs bit and bridle
to stay on track."
10 God-defiers are always in trouble;
God-affirmers find themselves loved
every time they turn around.
THE MESSAGE

Here's the rest of Psalm 32.  If we pray, keep in touch with God, we'll be on high ground when all hell breaks loose.  God is described as an Island Hideaway, keeping us safe from danger.  Then David (the writer of the Psalms), gives us a bit of advice, "Don't be ornery like a horse or mule that needs a bit and bridle to stay on track."  I used to ride horses and they sure can be ornery!  I was riding a thoroughbred horse once and he got an itch on his rear.  So he decided to rub himself on a wooden fence.  He got a splinter and I became a bucking bronc rider!  He was impossible to control. I can relate to this verse.  I have said things in the past that still make me blush, and done things I can't believe I did.  We all have.  What's the solution?  Confess and affirm God.  Then believe in forgiveness.  All is made right.

No comments:

Post a Comment