Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Bucket of lard?

"Be good to Your servant, God."  That's how this part of Psalm 119 starts out.  I've never thought of asking God, the Almighty, to be good to me.  I always pray I'll be good for Him.  He is always good to me.  But today I pray He'll be good to me, as good as His Word- just to see what it's like.  The author asks God to train him in common sense.  I could sure use that!  Even though I am committed to Christ, I still wander at times.  Now, what was my point?  Oh yeah.  Hahaha, I definitely wander.   And, when I get too emotional, I get run-on sentences!

Psalms 119:65-72

65 Be good to your servant, God;
be as good as your Word.
66 Train me in good common sense;
I'm thoroughly committed to living your way.
67 Before I learned to answer you, I wandered all over the place,
but now I'm in step with your Word.
68 You are good, and the source of good;
train me in your goodness.

These verses reminded me of my last office job.  While God teaches us to build each other up and encourage others, my boss thought he should go around and make up stories about me.  It was very annoying.  It's been almost two years since I left.  A guy who lost his job in the most recent round of cut backs, chewed the boss out before he left.  One of the things he said was that the boss forced me to quit...  I figured they'd all forgotten me by now : )  It kind of shows the results of spreading lies, it's "bland as a bucket of lard."  I love that, although I don't recommend calling your boss that.  The truth is, God allowed it to become impossible for me to stay.  He had better things in mind for me.  What good do lies achieve?  None.  They eventually draw all eyes to the liar.  I chose to focus on God's Word and found the courage and strength to move on.
69 The godless spread lies about me,
but I focus my attention on what you are saying;
70 They're bland as a bucket of lard,
while I dance to the tune of your revelation

Now I "dance to the tune of your revelation."  Things worked out for the best for me.  This all drove me further to the Lord, my photography, writing, and artwork.  This blog helps me focus on His Word more.  My best friend kept trying to talk me into coming back to the old job.  But, I knew it wouldn't work out.  She's finally admitted I left at the right time.
71 My troubles turned out all for the best
they forced me to learn from your textbook.

The funny thing about gold is that it just doesn't last very long...  Always seems to run out.  But the peace, joy and love of knowing Jesus endures forever.  I choose Christ. 
72 Truth from your mouth means more to me
than striking it rich in a gold mine
.
THE MESSAGE

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for this encouraging word. That "tough" times have a purpose if we allow them too - always drawing us nearer to Him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sheila! So glad it was encouraging. I admit writing it brought some healing to me. Amazing how things turn around isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forgot to mention, looking at this experience through the Bible helped me find forgiveness for my boss. It took out the intimidation and helped me see just a man on the wrong track.

    ReplyDelete