Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Trouble? Us?

When I was a little girl, my big brother and I fought a lot.  I was five years younger and much shorter. One of my favorite things to do was stand in front of my Mom while she was washing dishes and make faces at my brother.  My brother would yell at me, and Mom would turn around and yell at him.  Worked every time.  And later my brother would get even.  : ) I suspect some of our troubles aren't necessarily by chance.  Yet God still helps us.  Our Father who art in Heaven...

Zephaniah 3:17
17 "The Lord your God in your midst,
The Mighty One, will save;
He will rejoice over you with gladness,
He will quiet you with His love,
He will rejoice over you with singing."
NKJV
I memorized this verse years ago, and still find comfort in it.  Hard to imagine God rejoicing over me with singing.  To me, it illustrates how He still helps us.  He is here in our midst.  If I allow Him to, He quiets me with His love.  I love the story about Jesus making breakfast for the disciples after His resurrection (John 21:9-10).  I ask for His help a lot.  Sometimes I forget He helps me because He wants to.  Kind of makes me want to pray, "Surprise me Father, provide what You know I need.  Your will be done.  I will trust You."

Psalms 119:153-160


He knows all about our troubles.
153 Take a good look at my trouble, and help me
I haven't forgotten your revelation(commands)
154 Take my side and get me out of this;
give me back my life, just as you promised.
One of the amazing things about God is that He is managing all the needs of people on earth.  I sometimes wonder how He weighs the scales.  One man's blessing may be another man's curse.  Two men lose their jobs and apply for an opportunity; God provides the job for one them.  The other is left unemployed.  This actually happened to a couple of men.  The second man received a job later that was much better for him than the first.  So much goes on that we simply don't understand.  God looks out for all of us.  We really shouldn't give up- perhaps the best is yet to come. : ) 


155 "Salvation" is only gibberish to the wicked
because they've never looked it up in your dictionary.
I imagine His mercies are even into higher numbers now that it's 2011.  Billions of mercies!  Can you imagine?
156 Your mercies, God, run into the billions;
following your guidelines, revive me.

Sometimes we tend to complicate things.  Thinking we must do this, this, this, and not forget to do that.  But, this verse sums things up pretty well.
Micah 6:8
8 He has shown you, O man, what is good;
And what does the Lord require of you
But to do justly,
To love mercy,
And to walk humbly with your God?
NKJV

Psalm 119
157 My antagonists are too many to count,
but I don't swerve from the directions you gave.
I was a little sad about this verse.  When people fall away from their faith in Christianity, we usually pray for them and not give up.  Jesus always takes back anyone who sincerely seeks Him.
158 I took one look at the quitters and was filled with loathing;
they walked away from your promises so casually!
159 Take note of how I love what you tell me;
out of your life of love, prolong my life.
160 Your words all add up to the sum total: Truth.
Your righteous decisions are eternal.
THE MESSAGE

God already knows we'll run into troubles.  He's got a plan in place to help us out.
John 16:33
33 "These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world."
NKJV

2 comments:

  1. It sure is. Still can't quite grasp how God can juggle all of our lives and things come out right. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete