Monday, May 30, 2011

Right into Your Presence

Sorry for the delay today.  I wanted to do something special since we've reached the end of Psalm 119.  I stepped out in faith and learned to use my Corel Painter software to cartoon. It took me awhile (all day!) until I realized I should just use it like I would a pencil and paper.  Doh!  It's at the end, after the Psalm.  Anyway,  Psalm 119 has a happy ending.  Actually, the whole Bible does : )  I've tried to read the whole Bible in one sitting and it never goes well for me.  I like to break it down into chapters or paragraphs.  I really enjoyed reading Psalm 119 this way.  My favorite verses are in blue.

Psalms 119:169-176

Our prayers and cries do come into the presence of God.  He hears every word and gives it personal consideration.  It gives me a headache to think of all the voices He hears, but He is God- omnipresent (everywhere). 
169 Let my cry come right into your presence, God;
provide me with the insight that comes only from your Word.
170 Give my request your personal attention,
rescue me on the terms of your promise.

I always try to remember to praise Him.  There's so much to praise Him about.  This morning we had major thunder storms, the sky grew dark and we thought it would be a bad day.  But praise be to God, it's now sunny and we can have a barbeque.  He has control of the storms and weather.
171 Let praise cascade off my lips;
after all, you've taught me the truth about life!
172 And let your promises ring from my tongue;
every order you've given is right.

I need His Word and His hand to steady me.  I am both artistic and mathematical, my mind can be an interesting place at times.  Add on top of that good and bad memories, worries, hopes, fears...  We all have a lot to think about.  The Bible and prayer holds us together.
173 Put your hand out and steady me
since I've chosen to live by your counsel.
174 I'm homesick, God, for your salvation;
I love it when you show yourself!
175 Invigorate my soul so I can praise you well,
use your decrees to put iron in my soul.
176 And should I wander off like a lost sheep — seek me!
I'll recognize the sound of your voice.
THE MESSAGE

Here's a nice way to pray I learned in college, it's called ACTS (the first letters of each of the words below spell ACTS).  It fits in with this Psalm.  When I try and send up a To-do list to the Almighty God, it leaves me feeling empty and alone.  But when I recognize who I'm talking to, prayer comes to life for me and I can sense His presence.  Even my husband would be annoyed with a To-do list all the time.
  • Adoration- spend a few minutes telling God what you adore about Him.
  • Confession- spend some time confessing sins and failures.
  • Thanksgiving- give Him thanks for all He's done and given you.
  • Supplication- pray for your needs and the needs of others.
Here it is...  hope you enjoy it.

    © Karen Kyle Ericson, all rights reserved.

    5 comments:

    1. Hi Karen -

      Thank you for this rich message. Psalm 119 is one of my favorites. It has the words "thy word" expressed so many times - KJV version- I love those many mentions. It stirs me so...

      I was never inclined to read the Holy Bible from cover to cover so had never read the entire Bible. Early this year a fellow blogger shared with me a Bible plan that appeals to me.
      It is called Professor Grant Horners Bible Reading System. You can google "Professor Grant Horner's Bible Reading System" to observe comments...

      I have used the subject system and now only have about 4 more books of the Bible to finish -then I will have read the entire Bible. It surprised me that I have diligently read it (only missed one day) and have enjoyed it and not at all felt bored or tired of the routine practice of reading that way. I have modified the practice some and take notes (Horner does not advise note taking - he instructs, in essence, to keep the reading moving.) Our Lord leads me to take notes and to marinate on some aspects as I read.

      Perhaps you may be inclined to try it.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Love your blog. So does He. Thank you, Karen.

      ReplyDelete
    3. @Lioneagle- this is such a great time to be a Christian. There are so many versions of the Bible and ways to study it. I have read it through a few times. The more you read the more it makes sense. Thanks for sharing this! I have PC Study Bible 5 on my computer as well which makes it easy for me to look up verses. God Bless!

      @Clint- Awww- thanks Clint! God bless you!

      ReplyDelete