Thursday, May 19, 2011

Ordinary people extraordinary God

I wish I could obey every word in the Bible.  But, I am even more grateful that God provided us a way through faith and His Holy Spirit to please Him.   Just when I think I've got it all figured out, I stub my toe.  A word pops out of my mouth.  I wonder where that came from!

One of my favorite descriptions of Christians, is that we are like one blind man trying to show another where to find bread.  The Apostle Paul described this inner struggle this way:

Romans 7:21-25
21 I find then a law, that evil is present with me, the one who wills to do good. 22 For I delight in the law of God according to the inward man. 23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. 24 O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? 25 I thank God — through Jesus Christ our Lord!

8:1-4 There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit. 2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death. 3 For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, on account of sin: He condemned sin in the flesh, 4 that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.
NKJV

Psalms 119:129-136
His Word does bring miracles.  It's changed my life and brought hope.  When I pray, I get to see God do miracles sometimes.  People find jobs where there aren't any.  He heals them of illness, restores souls.  I highlighted my favorite verses in blue. 
129 Every word you give me is a miracle word
how could I help but obey? 

We are just ordinary people worshiping an extraordinary God.
130 Break open your words, let the light shine out,
let ordinary people see the meaning.
131 Mouth open and panting,
I wanted your commands more than anything.
132 Turn my way, look kindly on me,
as you always do to those who personally love you.
133 Steady my steps with your Word of promise
so nothing malign gets the better of me.
134 Rescue me from the grip of bad men and women
so I can live life your way.
135 Smile on me, your servant;
teach me the right way to live.
136 I cry rivers of tears
because nobody's living by your book!
THE MESSAGE



1 comment: