Tuesday, May 10, 2011

No detours

My husband and I fell in love while getting lost driving in Seattle.  It always took us three times as long to get places because we couldn't find them.  We'd talk as we drove and try and find our way.  In New Jersey people ask what exit number they live by.  When my Father-in-law came to visit from New Jersey we were enlightened.  He asked what the Freeway exit number was.  We looked at the signs and were shocked to see numbers on them!  Driving became much better after that, and we stayed in love with a little less frustration.  I had to smile when I read this Psalm.

God's Word keeps us headed in the right direction toward His destination.  As a new Christian, it was harder to do the right thing than the wrong.  Detours were easy and painfully taught me why not to take them.  After 34 years, and God's extreme patience, detours are much harder.  I can't say I'm smarter than my teachers or wiser than old sages.  But, I have found reading the Bible and applying it to my life each day really helps.

Psalms 119:97-104

97 Oh, how I love all you've revealed;
I reverently ponder it all the day long.
98 Your commands give me an edge on my enemies;
they never become obsolete.
99 I've even become smarter than my teachers
since I've pondered and absorbed your counsel.
100 I've become wiser than the wise old sages
simply by doing what you tell me.
101 I watch my step, avoiding the ditches and ruts of evil
so I can spend all my time keeping your Word.

Although God has given me good directions, I sometimes wonder if I'm on the right path.  Sometimes I have to ask myself if I'm focusing on what God wants me to.  For example, politics.  I can spend hours thinking about how to fix the world.  But, is that my job or in my control?  Nope.  I need to be out taking photos and using the gifts and talents He's given me, helping others, things within my control.  Detours can be good when they lead me back to God's wisdom with greater appreciation and peace.  Not so much if I give up my soul food in the process, and waste hours of time on nothing.  It's good to think, just not too much.  Like my Grandma used to say, "Don't think about it.  Do it."
102 I never make detours from the route you laid out;
you gave me such good directions.
103 Your words are so choice, so tasty;
I prefer them to the best home cooking.
104 With your instruction, I understand life;
that's why I hate false propaganda.
THE MESSAGE

4 comments:

  1. I'm embarrassed to say how old I was before I knew those little numbered posts alongside interstates were mileage markers. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shew! Glad I'm not the only one :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Karen -

    Quite interesting how you fell in love.

    I enjoyed reading this, Karen. It reminds that we must follow our Lord - steadfastly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes we must. He won't leave us if we don't- but we sure miss out on a lot of love and peace if we do. Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete