Monday, May 2, 2011

The nudge

I wish I could say that I always do what God says to do.  But I must admit, sometimes I don't.  God has satisfied me.  My life has purpose and meaning with Him.  But sometimes I'm a little slow at doing things; I drag my feet.  One time I was traveling to and from Chicago by myself, for some training for my job.  I was being very careful as a woman alone:  not to make eye contact (this is hard for me), quickly moving around and finding my gate, keeping my bags within reach.  I stopped at a Starbucks and got some food and coffee.  I sat and ate, realizing I had too much food. 

A young man sat by the window alone.  He had piercings on his nose, ears, anywhere he could.  His hair stuck out and was white.  He wore a black leather jacket with bright silver zippers.  I told myself, "Don't stare.  Look down..."  That's when the nudge came, "Give him your extra food."  I thought, "Oh no!  I can't I'm being good."  "Give him your extra food."  I tried really hard to mind my own business, but with each nudge my heart would pound a little more.  "Give him your extra food."  I had an unsealed bowl of fruit in my hand.  "Now."  Finally, I gave in. 

I walked over and offered him the fruit.  He was such a nice guy.  We sat and talked until the plane was ready for New Jersey.  He was waiting to see if a seat would be available so he could fly to his sister's wedding.  We talked a bit about the Church she was getting married in.  He thanked me for the fruit and said he would appreciate having it later on in the day.  I still don't understand what my role was, but I know God was working out a plan for this guy.  I admit, He enlarged my heart that day, reminding me once again that He looks at hearts and not outward appearances. After all, it really wasn't that long ago, older folks didn't know what to think of me : )

Psalms 119:57-64

57 Because you have satisfied me, God, I promise
to do everything you say
.
58 I beg you from the bottom of my heart: smile,
be gracious to me just as you promised.
59 When I took a long, careful look at your ways,
I got my feet back on the trail you blazed.
60 I was up at once, didn't drag my feet,
was quick to follow your orders.
61 The wicked hemmed me in — there was no way out
but not for a minute did I forget your plan for me.
62 I get up in the middle of the night to thank you;
your decisions are so right, so true — I can't wait till morning!
63 I'm a friend and companion of all who fear you,
of those committed to living by your rules.
64 Your love, God, fills the earth!
Train me to live by your counsel.
THE MESSAGE

This is one of my favorite verses when I feel like I have no direction.
Jeremiah 29:11-13
11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. 12 Then you will call upon Me and go and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. 13 And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart.
NKJV

My prayer for the Southern United States:
Dear Heavenly Father I lift up the people devastated by tornadoes that hit the South.  I come to You as a child not understanding.  I pray for those who are facing this darkness that You will bring light, hope and healing.  Have mercy on these people.  Be with those who try and lead congregations in Churches with no walls- restore their souls.  Bring relief workers and those who can help them rebuild. Guide those who are helping with wisdom and knowledge to be able to come up with good solutions.   Comfort those who lost loved ones, help them to seek You and find You.   Be with the children, surround them all with Your love.  Shepherd these people, Your love is unfailing.
In Jesus Name, Amen.

9 comments:

  1. What a beautiful story...I know that sort of heart nudge as well and sometimes I act on it and unfortunately, sometimes I don't. I think it will be wonderful in Heaven to learn those time we have played a good role in someone's life without knowing and of course devastating to learn the times we have done the opposite as well.

    Thanks for the excellent reminder not to judge by appearances.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your "nudge" story. We all need to be reminded of that, and to respond to the nudge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Colleen and Sheila- I agree it's following through with the nudge that's the hardest :) For the past year or maybe more I felt I should talk to my Pastor about doing a few things... Hmmm maybe another nudge. It's good to know I'm not the only one with this struggle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes the extra I give turns out to be a gift to me...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know LL that's so true. Many times I step out to help someone and feel like I'm the one getting blessed. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Karen -

    I much enjoyed this piece. So glad that you gave away your fruit which caused you to bear spiritual fruit for our Lord.

    Thank you for that prayer - it moved my soul - indeed. I agree with you for those affected peopel. May GOD send them an abundance of love, comfort, strength, and help.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks lioneagle! I hadn't thought about the spiritual fruit. Good observation. Thanks also for joining me in prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When we look for and respond to those nudges, we begin to experience God's blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amen. Thanks for your comment David!

    ReplyDelete