Saturday, May 14, 2011

Light my path

This part of Psalm 119 reminds me of the Amy Grant song, Thy Word (link).  At one time it's all we heard on Christian radio in the United States.  Almost every time it got me singing in the car.

This is the first verse in the New King James Version.
Psalms 119:105
105 Your word is a lamp to my feet
And a light to my path. 
NKJV

Here it is in The Message.
Psalms 119:105-112
105 By your words I can see where I'm going;
they throw a beam of light on my dark path.
106 I've committed myself and I'll never turn back
from living by your righteous order.
107 Everything's falling apart on me, God;
put me together again with your Word.

God uses His Word to guide me on the right path.  Like when the bills are due and I feel anxious, my mind thinks about nothing else but where the money will come from.  It's paralyzing like the venom of a snake.  Instead of working, I'm worrying.  My mind goes to the past and I wonder how this happened.  When I am completely miserable, I realize this anxiety isn't from God.  I remember that verse about anxiety, so I look it up.

Philippians 4:6-7
"6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; 7 and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."
NKJV
And this verse comes to mind about dwelling in the past instead of the present.
Isaiah 43:18-19
18 "Forget the former things;
       do not dwell on the past.
 19 See, I am doing a new thing!
       Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? ..."
And this verse which He's always done for us:
Phil 4:19
"19 And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus."
NKJV
Peace comes and I know He is God.  I'm ready to keep going, after I ask forgiveness for giving up.  He always forgives.

Had to look this word up. : )  "Festoon" means decorate.  Decorate me with Your Word Father!
108 Festoon me with your finest sayings, God;
teach me your holy rules.
109 My life is as close as my own hands,
but I don't forget what you have revealed.

Ugh!  I actually had a woman antagonize me because she didn't like how happy I was, and how I smile.  She said that no one should be that happy.  Sometimes people's logic blows my mind...  Truth is, when you've been through darkness, and then follow Christ, it's extremely bright.  I can't help but smile in gratitude (most of the time- not always).
110 The wicked do their best to throw me off track,
but I don't swerve an inch from your course.

The more I learn, the more I remember at work, home, when I'm sick, visiting others... always!
111 I inherited your book on living; it's mine forever
what a gift! And how happy it makes me!
112 I concentrate on doing exactly what you say
I always have and always will.
THE MESSAGE

6 comments:

  1. And my daughters complain that "Cindy is spoiling you!" Hells bells---I thought spouses were SUPPOSED to spoil each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well this is extremely timely Karen!:) Why does that happen so often when I stop by here?:) I really needed to read this at this very moment. Also, I had forgotten how beautiful Amy Grant's voice and songs are...I used to love her when I was growing up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Colleen- so glad it helped. I used to listen to Amy all the time too. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I commented but it must have disappeared before in the blogging madness.:)

    When I read this the other evening, it really spoke to me and was exactly what I needed to hear! Such a blessing to read, thank you.:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Colleen! God bless you abundantly! I'll be praying about the new baby.

    ReplyDelete