Tuesday, May 17, 2011

What to do?

At one time I was leading a Backyard Bible Club for little kids.  One of the projects for them was to make cards for the person next to them.  A situation came up...  A sweet little boy drew a picture of the little girl next to him.  He was so proud of it.  So he gave it to her.  She screamed and cried.  I asked her what was wrong.  She said, "He drew me ugly..." with her lower lip sticking out.  What's a girl to do?  So I said, "You're not ugly.  He just doesn't draw very well."  I looked over at the little boy to see tears. "Yet!  Not yet.  He'll be a great artist one day."  Sometimes we get some interesting predicaments in our lives...

Loving others can be tricky for sure.

This section of Psalm 119 brought those that hurt others in the name of Christianity to mind.  The Bible teaches, to do to others as you'd have them do to you.  So that would mean, it's not right to protest a soldier's funeral because you don't believe in war,  unless you believe that others should protest your family's funerals to support their ideas.  It's not right to burn the Koran to express your opinion,  unless you would like others to burn the Bible to express theirs.  Thankfully, there are very few people who would consider things like this justice.  These things don't support Jesus' teachings; Jesus is the heart of Christianity.

Psalms 119:121-128

However we are to stand up for justice and the right.  But sometimes the outcome isn't what we'd hoped for. 
121 I stood up for justice and the right;
don't leave me to the mercy of my oppressors.
122 Take the side of your servant, good God;
don't let the godless take advantage of me.
123 I can't keep my eyes open any longer, waiting for you
to keep your promise to set everything right.


So what are we to do?  Ask God to guide us, let the Bible speak the truth to us.  Be humble before God and let Him help us understand.
124 Let your love dictate how you deal with me;
teach me from your textbook on life.
125 I'm your servant — help me understand what that means,
the inner meaning of your instructions.

It's not easy to see some of the things going on around us.  But God is still on His throne.  All things will be made right in the end. 
126 It's time to act, God;
they've made a shambles of your revelation!
127 Yea-Saying God, I love what you command,
I love it better than gold and gemstones;
128 Yea-Saying God, I honor everything you tell me,
I despise every deceitful detour.
THE MESSAGE

This is a great verse.  Sometimes the best thing I can do is just sit.  Let God give me the strength to move ahead.   
Isaiah 40:31
31 But those who wait on the Lord
Shall renew their strength;
They shall mount up with wings like eagles,
They shall run and not be weary,
They shall walk and not faint.
NKJV

2 comments:

  1. AMEN! Very well thought out. I wish I had your talent. I feel the same way you do, only I don't know the verses well enough, or how to word things more tactfully.

    Thank you for this message.
    God Bless,
    PJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks PJ! I really appreciate the encouragement. It was a tough one. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete