Friday, May 20, 2011

Right!

Zechariah 4:6
'Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit,'
Says the Lord of hosts.
NKJV
There's a beautiful song about this verse Not by power (link), it's being sung by Carola.

This section of Psalm 119 is full of praises and humility.  The first thing that stood out to me is the number of times the word, "right" is used in this section.  If something is repeated in the Bible, it usually means it's important.

Psalms 119:137-144

God is right, right, right and rightly instructing us how to live faithfully to Him.
137 You are right and you do right, God;
your decisions are right on target.
138 You rightly instruct us in how to live
ever faithful to you.

When the author describes his rivals, he points out how they ignored God's commandments.  He didn't see this as his failure, but rather God's promise to him being tested through and through.  That's an interesting perspective.  When I'm undergoing troubles, I sometimes wonder where God went.  Or maybe I dig in and pray and memorize verses.  You may remember the old television test they used to run, "This is a test.  It's only a test.  There is no need to adjust your monitor (give up), it's only a test."  One of my friends at work used to say this and make me laugh everytime.  Of course there's nothing like the right verse to keep my chin up!
139 My rivals nearly did me in,
they persistently ignored your commandments.
140 Your promise has been tested through and through,
and I, your servant, love it dearly.


I love this verse, but I think I might say, "I'm too old to be important," or maybe "not worthy to be important.  Just a servant."  The enthusiasm of the young is so inspiring.
141 I'm too young to be important,
but I don't forget what you tell me.

His righteousness is eternally right, mine might last for a few minutes. : )  If I focus...  The key through all of this is how God's Word, His commands are right.  Plain and simple.  We can love them, find delight in them, and live to the fullest by reading a bit of His Word each day.
142 Your righteousness is eternally right,
your revelation is the only truth.
143 Even though troubles came down on me hard,
your commands always gave me delight.
144 The way you tell me to live is always right;
help me understand it so I can live to the fullest.
THE MESSAGE

2 comments:

  1. Excellent message. Well done, good and faithful servant

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement Clint! This was a fun section. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete